Force the avatar to a max size of xxx KB

Force the avatar to a max size of xxx KB

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The winemaker

Austria

Moves
11 Jun 04
1 edit

I think the size of the avatar should have a max size of e.g. 10 KB.
At the Moment I can see avatars with a size of 200+ KB. The reason is that people link to oversized images.

No offense, I guess there is no cruel intention but it looks like people are not aware that everybody has to download the full 200 KB although the avatar will shrink to a 50x50 px image in the forums.
I know there is client caching and all that stuff in place but it just doesn't make sense to allow oversized avatars.
Maybe we can link people to a 'How to shrink my avatar in size'-page when somebody tries to update his avatar-link and fails due to this sizing restriction.

Just an idea,

Gotti

Zeist, Holland

Moves
11 Jun 04

I feel adressed and will do this tonight. Should have some time ago already, but have not done it yet. 😳
I will take this opportunity to say what I find even more anooying: that people link to images that do not exist, or even worse, to images that are on a server that cannot be found. Sometimes the loading of the page won't complete, and on one occasion my browser even crashed. So people, please host your images somewhere reliable.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
11 Jun 04

Originally posted by piderman
I feel adressed and will do this tonight. Should have some time ago already, but have not done it yet. 😳
I will take this opportunity to say what I find even more anooying: that people link to images that do not exist, or even worse, to images that are on a server that cannot be found. Sometimes the loading of the page won't complete, and on one occasion my browser even crashed. So people, please host your images somewhere reliable.
I will allow people to upload their avatars one day. Then I will force 50px*50px images.

-Russ