Forced draw

Subscribergolddog2
Help 20 May '08 19:17
  1. Vancouver Area
    Moves
    20 May '08 19:17
    Can anyone tell me why this tournament game became a draw when my opponent only had his King remaining and I was a few moves away from checkmate? Is this a bug or am I missing something?

http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=4889179
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 May '08 19:352 edits
    Originally posted by golddog2
    Can anyone tell me why this tournament game became a draw when my opponent only had his King remaining and I was a few moves away from checkmate? Is this a bug or am I missing something?

http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=4889179
    Game 4889179

That is called stalemate. You moved your king and blocked any chance for the other king to make any kind of move.

If a player can't move legally, it's a draw.

Search 'stalemate' for better understanding of this rule, and next time be sure any move you make leaves a move for the other guy, unless that move is a checkmate.

Better may have been:

48. Qb2 …Ke1 (Don't let the king off the back row)
    49. Bc3+ …Kd1 (Set them up)
    50. Qd2# (knock them down)

P-
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 May '08 20:01
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Game 4889179

That is called stalemate. You moved your king and blocked any chance for the other king to make any kind of move.

If a player can't move legally, it's a draw.

Search 'stalemate' for better understanding of this rule, and next time be sure any move you make leaves a move for the other guy, unless that move is a checkmate.

Bet ...[text shortened]... e king off the back row)
    49. Bc3+ …Kd1 (Set them up)
    50. Qd2# (knock them down)

P-
    Stalemate is my favourite chess rule!
    I love to watch others fall into a stale mate, and I love to make a stale mate trap myself when I am way under in material!
    It's just candy!
  4. Vancouver Area
    Moves
    20 May '08 22:46
    Well I learned something new...the hard way! I always thought this situation was the same as a checkmate, so thanks for your explanations, I'll try to avoid such rookie mistakes in the future.
  5. Vancouver Area
    Moves
    21 May '08 05:57
    One more question....are you still able to use the King for offensive moves, can a King move to create checkmate or is that a stalemate?
  6. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    21 May '08 06:34
    The King can't put the other King in check. Therefore, if you move the King to prevent a move by the other king - just make sure that the opponent king has somewhere else to go otherwise its a stalement.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 May '08 08:033 edits
    The king can put the other king in check, as well as mate:

White mates in one!
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 May '08 10:301 edit
    Originally posted by golddog2
    One more question....are you still able to use the King for offensive moves, can a King move to create checkmate or is that a stalemate?
    A king cannot move to a square that is under attack by the enemy. That move would be placing itself in check, and that is not allowed.

It is possible for a king to attack everything except the enemy king or queen so in that sense it could be used to make offensive moves.
  9. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    21 May '08 12:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

[fen]4RK1k/4P1pp/8/8/8/8/p7/8[/fen]
    White mates in one!
    Moving the kign to f7 results in a mate but the rook is putting the opponent king in check, not the king, although the move by the king results in the check.

Semantics I suppose 🙂
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 May '08 15:19
    Originally posted by RDM
    Semantics I suppose 🙂
    Yes, semantics.

But the very move Kf7# is not an oxymoron, it's a possibility.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 May '08 16:19

[fen]4RK1k/4P1pp/8/8/8/8/p7/8[/fen]
    White mates in one!
    No problem with the fact - it's perfectly acceptable. But --- The moves to arrive here would be rather interesting! The kings ~must~ have been in these positions before the rook arrived on the rank - and when it got to ?8, white moved it to the e file in front of the pawn instead of just moving the king to f7! If this was a real endgame, I'd take a SERIOUS look at my tactics!
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 May '08 16:29
    Originally posted by CauselessOne
    No problem with the fact - it's perfectly acceptable. But --- The moves to arrive here would be rather interesting! The kings ~must~ have been in these positions before the rook arrived on the rank - and when it got to ?8, white moved it to the e file in front of the pawn instead of just moving the king to f7! If this was a real endgame, I'd take a SERIOUS look at my tactics!
    Well, it's just an illustration about a king move that mates.

But actually I took your thoughts into consideration (lightly) and therefor i put a black pawn at a2. The only thing black could do was to move the pawn in the hope of promoting it eventually. Meanwhile white got in place, took the queen at e8 with the rook to avoid the mate on white. ... or something...

Please, don't read in something in the diagarm too much.
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 May '08 16:37
    Well, it's just an illustration about a king move that mates.

But actually I took your thoughts into consideration (lightly) and therefor i put a black pawn at a2. The only thing black could do was to move the pawn in the hope of promoting it eventually. Meanwhile white got in place, took the queen at e8 with the rook to avoid the mate on white. ... or something...

Please, don't read in something in the diagarm too much.
    I think I'll go with the 'or something' option. Qe8 would have been giving check, so .....🙄 Maybe the Q took something and the R was already on 8?

Congrats 0on the 1800 btw. I got there once, but it didn't last. Hopefully, you'll do better!
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 May '08 20:45
    I think I'll go with the 'or something' option. Qe8 would have been giving check, so .....🙄 Maybe the Q took something and the R was already on 8?

Congrats 0on the 1800 btw. I got there once, but it didn't last. Hopefully, you'll do better!
    Thank you. I don't stay 1800+ for long. Perhaps later I'll do a new try, and one never knows... 😞

The diagram was invented in a hurry, just to prove my thing. I didn't put effort to make it be a well thought mate in one problem. So the 'or something' is a good description of it.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 May '08 22:03
    It's possible that the Rook was on e8 and an bN on f8. Then, the Kings came in.

Or maybe the position a few moves earlier was this:

White played 1.dxe8R to show off. Black realizes that even if he plays ...h6, he is still dead lost, yet he does not feel like resigning. So, he replies 1...a2 and 2.Kf7# ends it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree