1. Joined
    15 May '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 01:12
    Hello,

I am currently playing a game with someone who is attempting to force me to accept a draw. In all likelihood I would win the game but the other player continues to put me in check with the same two moves, insisting that i accept a draw so they don't lose.

Obviously this is poor sportsmanship, but not illegal (though it should be, as i think its cheap)

Is there anyway to report this player? How can escape their tyranny??
  2. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 01:36
    This is a game in progress, so I can't comment directly on the position.

The rules of chess provide for the losing side the opportunity to save a game from lose by 3-fold repetition of position and draw by perpetual check. It is NOT bad sportsmanship, just the basic fact that 1>0 in points. The idea is this: "You think you have a won game? Then demonstrate it while your opponent does everything in his (legal) power to prevent your win.

The only bad sportsmanship I see here is your threat to "report" him.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 04:11
    Originally posted by House of Benjamin
    Obviously this is poor sportsmanship, but not illegal (though it should be, as i think its cheap)

The only one here I can see with bad sportsmanship is you, evidently after a quick looc at the game. He have been very clever and avoids the loss. And you just whine.

He playes perfectly by the rules. Do you know the rules? If not then read up! If you think you can win? Then prove it! Until then play with honour. He does, why don't you?

This is what I would do in his shoes - I would put you in the ignore list so you cannot harass me anymore. To report is unnecessary.

If you are a beginner and not have encountered this rule before, then you are forgiven if you just accept the facts. Would be a nice gesture though to give an excuse for your behaviour to your opponent.
  4. Joined
    18 Mar '10
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 07:42
    Hi Benjamin
    Your opponent does have a legal claim for a draw as the same position has been repeated 3 times, this rule of chess can be found on 'Help' 'FAQ'. I expect that problem has arisen as your opponent is new to the site and is not aware that he needs to click on 'Claim Draw' then make a move which would finish the game straight away. You could explain this to him as it not obvious, he knows he has a draw so he must be frustrated that you continue to play on.
    Far from cheap the 3 move rule is an important part of chess strategy, there are many examples of brillant stunning play where a player has managed to force a draw by 3 move repetion from a losing position.

Lundy.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Aug '10 18:07
    Hello,

I am currently playing a game with someone who is attempting to force me to accept a draw. In all likelihood I would win the game but the other player continues to put me in check with the same two moves, insisting that i accept a draw so they don't lose.

Hello HofB,
    I sympathise:

I am currently playing a game with someone who is attempting to force me to resign. In all likelihood I could win the game but this other player continues to take my pieces and threatens to check-mate me constantly. All this so they dont lose!

I have reported his tyranny but so far nothing has been done.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Aug '10 12:181 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Hello HofB,
    I sympathise:

I am currently playing a game with someone who is attempting to force me to resign. In all likelihood I could win the game but this other player continues to take my pieces and threatens to check-mate me constantly. All this so they dont lose!

It is not cheap to put someone in perpetual check. If you've left your position vulnerable to perpetual check, you have not played well enough to win.

I find your comments surprising coming from a solid 1600 player. I would think you know this is part of the game. Do you think stalemate is cheap also? "I would have mated you, but you moved to a position where I can't mate you!"

Edit! I just turned my sarcasm detector on and it was beeping and all the red lights were flashing.

P-
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Aug '10 14:08
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    It is not cheap to put someone in perpetual check. If you've left your position vulnerable to perpetual check, you have not played well enough to win.

I find your comments surprising coming from a solid 1600 player. I would think you know this is part of the game. Do you think stalemate is cheap also? "I would have mated you, but you moved to a posi ...[text shortened]... turned my sarcasm detector on and it was beeping and all the red lights were flashing.

P-
    "a solid 1600 player" ... thats what I call sarcasm! (LOL)

You should see me play!
  8. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    24 Aug '10 19:03
    [b]Hello HofB,
    I sympathise:

I am currently playing a game with someone who is attempting to force me to resign....
    Great! Rec'd.
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 19:04
    Hello,

That is part of the game. Learn from this.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Aug '10 10:27
    Hello HofB,
    I sympathise:

hahahah quality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree