1. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 05:08
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Was your mother being ironic when she named you Rich?

D
    Haha, very good.😀
  2. London
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 23:06
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Subscribing is a "help support the site" idea.
    Not, as I understand it, a "profit/money grabbing" idea.

So stop whining about non-subs, many of whom are for financial reasons unable to subscribe.
    Do you also whine at starving africans for not eating healthily?
    Exactly why a non-sub mod is needed.
    So a non-sub mod is needed just to filter out anything bad a sub says about non-subs. Nonsense. The way I see it; if you can afford a computer and internet connection, you can afford a $30 subscription.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 05:101 edit
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    So a non-sub mod is needed just to filter out anything bad a sub says about non-subs. Nonsense. The way I see it; if you can afford a computer and internet connection, you can afford a $30 subscription.
    The way I see it;
    Some people have old computers that have been passed on to them.
    Some people can just scrape together enough to pay for an internet connection.
    Some other people might have to do without a meal or two to find the money to subscribe.
    I know people [who like playing chess] who are living on less than £1OO per week income. [through no fault of their own....before you come out with some derogatory remark]

And the idea was not to " filter out blah blah" but to have some sort of equal representation. It's well known and for all to see how non subs are discriminated against and scorned in the forums
  4. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 08:51
    There is one non subscriber at a low rating wanting a game. He requests nobody under 1800 to apply. He must be impoverished and desperate for a game.
    If someone is living on less that £100 a week, he can`t even afford an internet connection.
    Non subscribers should be allowed 10 games and after that, join or leave.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 09:32
    The way I see it;
    Some people have old computers that have been passed on to them.
    Some people can just scrape together enough to pay for an internet connection.
    Some other people might have to do without a meal or two to find the money to subscribe.
    I know people [who like playing chess] who are living on less than £1OO per week income. [through ...[text shortened]... s well known and for all to see how non subs are discriminated against and scorned in the forums
    Well, the way I see it, the non-subs want everything without paying for anything. So can't blame anyone from making sarcastic remarks. If you want something extra then pay for it. Nothing comes free.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 11:24
    Originally posted by davfra
    There is one non subscriber at a low rating wanting a game. He requests nobody under 1800 to apply. He must be impoverished and desperate for a game.
    If someone is living on less that £100 a week, he can`t even afford an internet connection.
    Non subscribers should be allowed 10 games and after that, join or leave.
    I don't see what the example you give of the non sub waiting for the game has any relevance to this discussion.

And so, basically you are saying that any of the millions of people living on less than £1OO a week shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

HA HA HA.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 11:31
    Originally posted by gregorytan
    Well, the way I see it, the non-subs want everything without paying for anything. So can't blame anyone from making sarcastic remarks. If you want something extra then pay for it. Nothing comes free.
    Most non subs are not asking for something extra!

You say; "Nothing comes free" which is confusing as playing chess here is free for non subs up to 6 games.
  8. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 12:33
    I don't see what the example you give of the non sub waiting for the game has any relevance to this discussion.

"And so, basically you are saying that any of the millions of people living on less than £1OO a week shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

HA HA HA."

No - I`m saying that on a £100 a week, I don`t see how anyone could afford an internet connection and have enough left over for living expenses.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 12:58
    No - I`m saying that on a £100 a week, I don`t see how anyone could afford an internet connection and have enough left over for living expenses.
    Yet, you are saying they should only be allowed ten games and then booted.
  10. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 13:13
    "Yet, you are saying they should only be allowed ten games and then booted."

If you wanted to go to the theatre but didn`t have the money, what would you do?
    Most of us would realise that we couldn`t go.
    Why should I subsidise people who are too mean to fork out the paltry subsciption fee?
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 15:19
    Why should I subsidise people who are too mean to fork out the paltry subsciption fee?
    No reason. [not that you are anyway, your subscription pays for yourself and your extra features]
    But I'm not referring to people who are too MEAN to subscribe, I'm talkiing about those who just cannot for varying reasons. 🙂
  12. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 17:10
    "No reason. [not that you are anyway, your subscription pays for yourself and your extra features]
    But I'm not referring to people who are too MEAN to subscribe, I'm talkiing about those who just cannot for varying reasons. "

Well, obviously we have different opinions on the subject.
    It would be a sad world if we all thought the same.
    Good luck to you.
    David
  13. London
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 23:14
    Most non subs are not asking for something extra!

You say; "Nothing comes free" which is confusing as playing chess here is free for non subs up to 6 games.
    Just be happy that you get what you are given completly free.

As for equal representation, that is nonsense. Subscribers have priveledges, and one of those is possibly becoming a mod. Non-subs pay nothing, therefore have few priveledges.

"you don't know what you got till it's gone". Think about it, and then be happy that Russ doesn't stop you all from posting in the forums, and stop you all from playing after a 10 game intro. Just be glad you get your 6 free games.
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 08:08
    Originally posted by Freddie2004
    Just be happy that you get what you are given completly free.

As for equal representation, that is nonsense. Subscribers have priveledges, and one of those is possibly becoming a mod. Non-subs pay nothing, therefore have few priveledges.

"you don't know what you got till it's gone". Think about it, and then be happy that Russ doesn't stop you ...[text shortened]... ms, and stop you all from playing after a 10 game intro. Just be glad you get your 6 free games.
    So you would consider it a privilege to become a mod???

Stopping non-subs from posting in the forums would be counter productive for the site in general. Some of the better stuff in here is posted by non subs.
    And as I have stressed [dunno where you are reading] non subs, on the whole are not complaining about what they do or don't get.😴
    Most moaning comes from subs....about non subs.[other than the cheats issue of course] 🙄
  15. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    06 Nov '05 13:01
    Whether someone is a sub or a non-sub is competely irrelevant to most things about this site, especially when it comes to the forums.

To say that a non-sub is posting rubbish in the forums is all very well, but to say that it is rubbish BECAUSE they are a non-sub is pretty tenuous. There are fools amonst the subs too, you know.

How about we all stop caring about subscription status except for when it really counts? Which in the forums is probably only for questions about clans, tournaments and recs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree