Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 13 Sep '03 13:50
    I'm curious about forum moderation. How is it done and what exactly happens when one clicks the alert moderator button?
    The only reason I ask is because I hit that button the other day and I just sort of got to wondering what happened when I did it. At the moment, it's a lack box to me 🙂
    (Incidentally, the post for which I hit the button was removed, so I guess I didn't misuse the moderator alert).
  2. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    13 Sep '03 14:24
    Originally posted by huntingbear
    I'm curious about forum moderation. How is it done and what exactly happens when one clicks the alert moderator button?
    The only reason I ask is because I hit that button the other day and I just sort of got to wondering what happened when I did it. At the moment, it's a lack box to me 🙂
    (Incidentally, the post for which I hit the button was removed, so I guess I didn't misuse the moderator alert).
    Currently there are ten members who are moderators.

    We try and maintain the forums so that they are enjoyable and useful for everyone. This is done by removing any posts that we feel are inappropriate. Some of the reasons for removal include inappropriate language, flamming and personal attacks on members. Flooding and spam-type junk posts are also removed. Basically, anything that we feel is disruptive or abusive will be removed.

    I should point out that we do not have the ability to go in and 'edit' someone else's post. We can only leave it in place or remove the entire post.

    I can't speak for the other moderators, but I don't personally read every post placed in every forum. That could turn into a full-time job at times! I do pop in and out to see what's happening, but I'm here to play chess like everyone else, so I don't 'live' in the forums...

    When any member comes across a post they feel is inappropriate or offensive, they can click on the 'alert moderator' link at the bottom of the post, and this will bring that post to the attention of the moderators. We look at it and decide if it needs to be removed or not. If the reason is obvious we will probably remove it right away. If we have questions about why someone alerted it, we will usually contact the person who alerted it and discuss it with them, or we might discuss it with other moderators before any action is taken.

    Moderators aren't always logged onto the site, so it may be a while from the time a post is alerted until it is dealt with.

    Hope that helps...

    Marc

  3. 13 Sep '03 14:57
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Currently there are ten members who are moderators.

    We try and maintain the forums so that they are enjoyable and useful for everyone. This is done by removing any posts that we feel are inappropriate. Some of the reasons for removal include inappropriate language, flamming and personal attacks on members. Flooding and spam-type junk posts are also remov ...[text shortened]... while from the time a post is alerted until it is dealt with.

    Hope that helps...

    Marc

    how were the moderators chosen?

    -Tim
  4. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    13 Sep '03 16:22
    Originally posted by TimmyToilet
    how were the moderators chosen?

    -Tim
    As far as I know Russ and Chris selected moderators from a number of members who expressed an interest.

    Marc
  5. 13 Sep '03 17:17
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Currently there are ten members who are moderators.

    We try and maintain the forums so that they are enjoyable and useful for everyone. This is done by removing any posts that we feel are inappropriate. Some of the reasons for removal include inappropriate language, flamming and personal attacks on members. Flooding and spam-type junk posts are also remov ...[text shortened]... while from the time a post is alerted until it is dealt with.

    Hope that helps...

    Marc

    Thank you very much!
  6. 13 Sep '03 17:18
    Originally posted by huntingbear
    Thank you very much!
    That is, both thanks to you for your reply and to all moderators for their work.
  7. Standard member royalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    14 Sep '03 16:00
    Are moderators' geographical locations distributed in such a way that we have a mod in most time zones, in order to maximise post elimination speed?
  8. Donation Rhymester
    and RedHotTed
    14 Sep '03 19:28
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Are moderators' geographical locations distributed in such a way that we have a mod in most time zones, in order to maximise post elimination speed?
    Pretty much and there are some mods to be found on site at some very strange hours 😉

    Rhymester
  9. 14 Sep '03 22:26
    Originally posted by Rhymester
    Pretty much and there are some mods to be found on site at some very strange hours 😉

    Rhymester
    do you mean me (once online for almost 30 hours strait. and not uncommon for me to be up around 3-or-4am.)?😵
  10. 14 Sep '03 22:30 / 2 edits
    one request for the users on this site, once in a while if someone finds a bad post they will start a thread asking for it to be deleted, instead of doing this, it would be alot faster and easyer if you please hit the 'alert moderator' button, thank you🙂