1. e2
    Moves
    13 Sep '03 13:50
    I'm curious about forum moderation. How is it done and what exactly happens when one clicks the alert moderator button?
    The only reason I ask is because I hit that button the other day and I just sort of got to wondering what happened when I did it. At the moment, it's a lack box to me 🙂
    (Incidentally, the post for which I hit the button was removed, so I guess I didn't misuse the moderator alert).
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    13 Sep '03 14:24
    Originally posted by huntingbear
    I'm curious about forum moderation. How is it done and what exactly happens when one clicks the alert moderator button?
    The only reason I ask is because I hit that button the other day and I just sort of got to wondering what happened when I did it. At the moment, it's a lack box to me 🙂
    (Incidentally, the post for which I hit the button was removed, so I guess I didn't misuse the moderator alert).
    Currently there are ten members who are moderators.

We try and maintain the forums so that they are enjoyable and useful for everyone. This is done by removing any posts that we feel are inappropriate. Some of the reasons for removal include inappropriate language, flamming and personal attacks on members. Flooding and spam-type junk posts are also removed. Basically, anything that we feel is disruptive or abusive will be removed.

I should point out that we do not have the ability to go in and 'edit' someone else's post. We can only leave it in place or remove the entire post.

I can't speak for the other moderators, but I don't personally read every post placed in every forum. That could turn into a full-time job at times! I do pop in and out to see what's happening, but I'm here to play chess like everyone else, so I don't 'live' in the forums...

When any member comes across a post they feel is inappropriate or offensive, they can click on the 'alert moderator' link at the bottom of the post, and this will bring that post to the attention of the moderators. We look at it and decide if it needs to be removed or not. If the reason is obvious we will probably remove it right away. If we have questions about why someone alerted it, we will usually contact the person who alerted it and discuss it with them, or we might discuss it with other moderators before any action is taken.

Moderators aren't always logged onto the site, so it may be a while from the time a post is alerted until it is dealt with.

Hope that helps...

Marc

3. Joined
    07 Apr '03
    Moves
    13 Sep '03 14:57
    Originally posted by mwmiller

We try and maintain the forums so that they are enjoyable and useful for everyone. This is done by removing any posts that we feel are inappropriate. Some of the reasons for removal include inappropriate language, flamming and personal attacks on members. Flooding and spam-type junk posts are also remov ...[text shortened]... while from the time a post is alerted until it is dealt with.

Hope that helps...

Marc

how were the moderators chosen?

-Tim
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    13 Sep '03 16:22
    Originally posted by TimmyToilet
    how were the moderators chosen?

-Tim
    As far as I know Russ and Chris selected moderators from a number of members who expressed an interest.

Marc
  5. e2
    Moves
    13 Sep '03 17:17
    Originally posted by mwmiller

We try and maintain the forums so that they are enjoyable and useful for everyone. This is done by removing any posts that we feel are inappropriate. Some of the reasons for removal include inappropriate language, flamming and personal attacks on members. Flooding and spam-type junk posts are also remov ...[text shortened]... while from the time a post is alerted until it is dealt with.

Hope that helps...

Marc

Thank you very much!
  6. e2
    Moves
    13 Sep '03 17:18
    Originally posted by huntingbear
    Thank you very much!
    That is, both thanks to you for your reply and to all moderators for their work.
  7. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    14 Sep '03 16:00
    Are moderators' geographical locations distributed in such a way that we have a mod in most time zones, in order to maximise post elimination speed?
  8. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    14 Sep '03 19:28
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Are moderators' geographical locations distributed in such a way that we have a mod in most time zones, in order to maximise post elimination speed?
    Pretty much and there are some mods to be found on site at some very strange hours 😉

Rhymester
  9. Steelers Country
    Moves
    14 Sep '03 22:26
    Originally posted by Rhymester
    Pretty much and there are some mods to be found on site at some very strange hours 😉

Rhymester
    do you mean me (once online for almost 30 hours strait. and not uncommon for me to be up around 3-or-4am.)?😵
  10. Steelers Country
    Moves
    14 Sep '03 22:302 edits
    one request for the users on this site, once in a while if someone finds a bad post they will start a thread asking for it to be deleted, instead of doing this, it would be alot faster and easyer if you please hit the 'alert moderator' button, thank you🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree