1. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    23 Jun '03 07:312 edits
    How about for a given tournament having the draw predetermined for each round and more to the point displayed on a tournament page? I mean like the draw for Wimbledon for example, where all the players names are lined up in a column down the left, then you can eye up who you might meet in the second and subsequent rounds.

I believe it would add a lot if it was possible to see this, and also to eye up further down the line a potential mouthwatering quarter final involving David Tebb and sintubin for example.

Maggoteer's that he did on his website for the first (non-official) tournament were superb. Also provided an easy to look at record to see who the two finalists had beaten on their way to the final.

For me, the tournaments have largely lost their interest - seems to be so many and for a bear of little brain it's like one big mass of chess. It's hard enough on a correspondence chess site to maintain the continuity and individuality of a particular tournament when they last for so long, and having this might help 🙂

T1000
  2. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    23 Jun '03 10:05
    Seems a good plan: people could then 'watch' other ganes that will be of interest to them (i.e. the peope they will face in the next round, should they win).

One can only trust such pre-knowledge not to be abused (aiding a lower rank player to get an easier dual in the next round).

I can't imagine this actaully happening: you'd need both players to collaborate and getting two 'bad eggs' in a row must be staggeringly unlikely. Plus as most people would report such behaviour to Russ, then followed by a likely Pawn Star removal, then the cost of attempting such skull-duggery should stop them before they start.

Thus the plan seems both useful and safe.
  3. Joined
    01 Dec '01
    Moves
    23 Jun '03 11:31
    Originally posted by T1000
    How about for a given tournament having the draw predetermined for each round and more to the point displayed on a tournament page? I mean like the draw for Wimbledon for example, where all the players names are lined up in a column down the left, then you can eye up who you might meet in the second and subsequent rounds.

I believe it would add a lot if it ...[text shortened]... ty of a particular tournament when they last for so long, and having this might help 🙂

T1000
    Mark, I fully support your idea. The length in time of most tournaments calls for supportive actions to keep the community's interest going. A few remarks following your idea:

- probably one issue is the fact that today, there are draws possible, the effect is that the number of players in the next round(s) is not determined in advance, unlike in the example (tennis) you gave. The solution could be to use more criteria to distinguish among the players, or to play tie-breakers (with effect on duration again).

- each tournament should have a dedicated tournament director, preferably a non-playing (in that tournament that is) member. He could be responsible for supporting R & C in making decisions on that tournament, raise and/or resolve issues, communicate to the community about progress, keep the interest going. If implemented, I would be willing to do my share of that work.

Gil.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    23 Jun '03 11:56
    I think it would be interesting to see some different time controls. One idea would be to have a specific amount of time to finish each round.

When a round starts, all games would have to be completed by a specific time, such as 14 days. Any games still in progress when the deadline is reached would be removed from the tournament and both players would be eliminated. They could play out the game at their leisure, but it would no longer be part of the tournament competition.

Winners of the first round would move on to the next round and start a new 14 day game, etc.

Might spice things up a little....

Marc
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    30 Jun '03 01:55
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I think it would be interesting to see some different time controls. One idea would be to have a specific amount of time to finish each round.

When a round starts, all games would have to be completed by a specific time, such as 14 days. Any games still in progress when the deadline is reached would be removed from the tournament and both players would ...[text shortened]... o the next round and start a new 14 day game, etc.

Might spice things up a little....

Marc
    Or here's another option to the above idea:

If a game is still in progress at the 14 day cutoff, allow the player who made the last move before the deadline to advance to the next round of tournament play. The other player would still be eliminated.

Any thoughts about this? Or other ideas?

Marc
  6. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    30 Jun '03 04:32
    Reading all these ideas,I think Russ needs to put 'rhp live' on top of his 'things to do' list 😉
    People,keep in mind that this is not 'live' chess.It's a mix of corr chess and live chess.It takes time for games to finish,that's what I like about it.Here I can take time to play the opening correct and come up with a decent middlegame plan.This,I think,is a great way to improve my game.It's what attracted me to the site in the first place!😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree