1. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 05:171 edit
    It means that there are new posts in the thread since you viewed it. It was meant to show threads that you were interested in regardless of if there were new messages in it or not.

I'll look into the problem.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 09:442 edits
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    It means that there are new posts in the thread since you viewed it. It was meant to show threads that you were interested in regardless of if there were new messages in it or not.

I'll look into the problem.
    I liked the green and red blobs system; it worked perfectly well previously.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 10:35
    It means that there are new posts in the thread since you viewed it.
    Some threads have the dark blob even though there are no new posts since I viewed it, some don't even though it is a thread I have viewed previously which has new posts. I can't find a system. The green and red blobs are still mostly gone on the first pages of the fora, with one or two exceptions.
  4. USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 15:08
    is there any way we could revert to an older version of the script?
  5. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 19:23
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Some threads have the dark blob even though there are no new posts since I viewed it, some don't even though it is a thread I have viewed previously which has new posts. I can't find a system. The green and red blobs are still mostly gone on the first pages of the fora, with one or two exceptions.
    Sorry, that should have read "no new messages" since you last viewed the thread. I think that the point was that someone requested a way of marking threads automatically that you have viewed regardless of "new/no new" messages in the thread. This would indicate threads that you had an interest in following.

Also, since all of the information on what colour dot to display is saved by the browser, if you use different browsers, this information will not be in sync. As well, the coloured dots only show up as you read/post in a thread after the script has been installed. The script doesn't go back and highlight past behaviour. So there may be threads that you have read/posted to in the past that do not have the colour change.
  6. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 19:25
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    is there any way we could revert to an older version of the script?
    You could, however, that would not change the fact that there are problems in the script currently. The script broke due to a layout change in the forums. Obviously, the fix that I put in did not completely fix the problem. So even if you went back to an older version, you'd still run into problems.

However, if you wanted to prevent the 'dark-coloured' dots from appearing, there is a variable in the script 'MARK_READ_THREADS' and setting it to 0 would prevent viewed threads from getting a differently coloured dot.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 20:07
    Sorry, that should have read "no new messages" since you last viewed the thread. I think that the point was that someone requested a way of marking threads automatically that you have viewed regardless of "new/no new" messages in the thread. This would indicate threads that you had an interest in following.

Also, since all of the information on what c ...[text shortened]... may be threads that you have read/posted to in the past that do not have the colour change.
    I am still confused about the meaning of the dark blob - is it meant to mark all threads I have viewed at some point, or is it meant to mark all threads I have viewed that have / have not had new posts? Marking all threads that have not had new messages since I last viewed the thread wouldn't make much sense as we already have the font change for that. I think the blobs consistently show only for threads I have viewed at some point, although apart from that they still seem random. Some threads have had them at some point and lost them.

I have green blobs for some threads I haven't been posting in for ages (I have had the script installed all the time, but the posts were long before the update), but there don't seem to be any new green or red blobs added for newer posts (for example, this thread only has a dark one). That would explain why there are almost no red or green blobs on the first pages of any fora, but several of them on older pages.
  8. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 21:36
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I am still confused about the meaning of the dark blob - is it meant to mark all threads I have viewed at some point, or is it meant to mark all threads I have viewed that have / have not had new posts? Marking all threads that have not had new messages since I last viewed the thread wouldn't make much sense as we already have the font change for that. I thi ...[text shortened]... ost no red or green blobs on the first pages of any fora, but several of them on older pages.
    Two separate issues here.

1) The dark-dots indicate all threads that you have viewed regardless of whether or not there are new posts since you last viewed it.

2) The problem with not seeing new green/red dots is a problem with the script and not because of the introduction of the dark-dots that was initially caused by a change in the layout of the forum pages.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    06 Aug '08 13:54
    1) The dark-dots indicate all threads that you have viewed regardless of whether or not there are new posts since you last viewed it.
    Okay. So it just behaves in a strange way - I guess that's the same problem as with the red and green dots then?

In the General forum, I only have dark dots for threads above the thread in which I posted last (threads that got new posts also get their dot back). This isn't the case in this forum, maybe because my last post in this forum isn't the last post in the thread. I'll see what happens in General if someone posts in the thread I posted in last.
  10. The sky
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 18:58
    To my great surprise, I got a new red dot and some green ones in one of my private fora. Otherwise, things are unchanged - no new green or red dots, and when I have the last post in a thread, that thread and all those below it aren't marked at all.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 18:351 edit
    Wow, I got a red dot in the General forum! (Edit: But not here.)
  12. ALG
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 20:00
    I have many yellow dots and 1 blue dot.
  13. Subscriberouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    Moves
    04 Sep '08 19:01
    A new version of the script is out. Hopefully this will fix the problems that everyone is having.
  14. The sky
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 17:361 edit
    A new version of the script is out. Hopefully this will fix the problems that everyone is having.
    Thank you!

(Let's see if it works...)

(Edit: Yay, it does!)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree