Hacked and hacked off

Hacked and hacked off

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
03 Dec 10

One of my friends who I play chess against on RHP had his RHP account hacked earlier this week. The hacker made some moves in my friend's active games (bad moves, at that!). When my friend discovered it, he immediately resigned all his games and now refuses to come back to RHP. What is past is past, but I was wondering if this has happened to others.

Hristos voskrese

feckin' 'ell

Moves
04 Dec 10

Originally posted by TenaciousE
One of my friends who I play chess against on RHP had his RHP account hacked earlier this week. The hacker made some moves in my friend's active games (bad moves, at that!). When my friend discovered it, he immediately resigned all his games and now refuses to come back to RHP. What is past is past, but I was wondering if this has happened to others.
He probably hadn't logged out and shares his computer, i seriously doubt anybody would put the time and effort in hacking a chess site account to make a few dodgy moves.

Australia

Moves
04 Dec 10

Since most of us never bother to log out, I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.

r
the walrus

an English garden

Moves
04 Dec 10

As others have said, it is highly unlikely that this is a problem on RHP's end. Your friend just needs to be more careful.

T

Moves
04 Dec 10

I appreciate the responses. My friend is a very sophisticated computer user and only accesses RHP from his home computer and his iPhone. (And his wife and dog wouldn't sabotage his games LOL.) He even scanned his computer for viruses and spyware (all clean) to eliminate that as a possible source.

I am only posting this in the event it is helpful to RHP and the rest of us. I can understand that this all seems difficult to believe but it is not impossible. You guys are correct that these are not state secrets we are talking about, but if WikiLeaks can happen, I suppose RHPLeaks could too.

Thanks again for your input.

E

Australia

Moves
05 Dec 10

No chance that his iPhone has ever been out of his sight, I suppose.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
05 Dec 10

I get hacked all the time. I'd be 2000+ if it weren't for all the bad moves somebody keeps making for me.

Australia

Moves
06 Dec 10

I'm not hacked enough. All my blunders are my own. 🙁 Anyone out there with a rating in 4 figures is welcome to make some of my moves.

T

Moves
07 Dec 10

Since I have a sense of humor, I find myself sitting here smiling at the additional responses. (And as a cat owner, I appreciate the profile pics!)

On a serious note, I'll drop this subject and assume that the purported hacking has a rational explanation, and was a one-time event.

I wish continued chess success to you all.

E

Moves
11 Dec 10
1 edit

Same friend that I've known for over 30 years and who would not have decided to leave RHP without reason. How it happened would be interesting to find out, but I suspect having an undefeated score made our friend a target for mischief.

RHP should pursue the offender who apparently was discovered after the incident!

Hristos voskrese

feckin' 'ell

Moves
11 Dec 10

Originally posted by alleenkatze
Same friend that I've known for over 30 years and who would not have decided to leave RHP without reason. How it happened would be interesting to find out, but I suspect having an undefeated score made our friend a target for mischief.

RHP should pursue the offender who apparently was discovered after the incident!
Maybe it was his email account that was hacked, from there you can get almost everywhere, the security questions are usually lame and anybody who knows that person will probably be able to answer them.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
12 Dec 10

Can I use this, next time I make some bad moves?

Who ever heard of a hacker hacking a chess site, to make bad moves on someones account? 😀

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
12 Dec 10

Originally posted by leestatic
Maybe it was his email account that was hacked, from there you can get almost everywhere, the security questions are usually lame and anybody who knows that person will probably be able to answer them.
So, You figure an inside job. 😉 😀

T

Moves
21 Dec 10

Originally posted by Very Rusty
Can I use this, next time I make some bad moves?

Who ever heard of a hacker hacking a chess site, to make bad moves on someones account? 😀
I will assume that Rusty is trying to add some light-hearted humor to the dialog. If so, I have no problem with that.

Just to be clear, the "victim" in question has a 2000 USCF correspondence rating and is of good character, so I have no concerns that he fabricated this story to protect his chess reputation.

Rusty asks "Who ever heard of a hacker hacking a chess site...". Well, I did hear of it and I only mentioned it here in the event it may help RHP become a more secure site.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year to all.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
21 Dec 10

I will assume that Rusty is trying to add some light-hearted humor to the dialog. If so, I have no problem with that.

Just to be clear, the "victim" in question has a 2000 USCF correspondence rating and is of good character, so I have no concerns that he fabricated this story to protect his chess reputation.

Rusty asks "Who ever heard of a hacker h ...[text shortened]... event it may help RHP become a more secure site.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year to all.
You've been here some time, so have I. Has anyone 'hacked' you or me? NO. There is no way the folks from THE MATRIX want to get into an RHP user's account to make bad moves.

Your friend doesn't log on at a library or from a public place? Didn't have a few too many spirits one evening? I just don't see anyone wanting to hack a chess account.

P-