1. Joined
    02 Apr '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '05 22:21
    OK heres my problem (not mentally,computer related I ment!) when I go to make a move in a game I make it then it wont let me because I have already made a move.....(that make sense?) its as if the page has not updated from the last move.However if I refresh the page it updates the previous move I (& my opponent) has made!
    Add to this when I log onto the net (AOL) & open internet explorer it takes (at least!) 10 minutes to open! I cant do anything during this time like open media payer to put tunes on then after 10 minutes these programmes start.I have 512 ram so that should be enough & PC is only month old.However internet explorer will start instantly if AOL isn't on (not connected to net) so I can only assume it's AOL software causing problem.AOL gave me list of things to try but its still the same & it's driving me nuts and i'm running out of beer! please no 'buy more beer' responses;-)
    Any help appreciated.
  2. Joined
    14 Jun '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '05 22:30
    Have you tried using ad-aware from lavasoft or spybot search and destroy to check if your system is being hogged by unwanted programmes?
    And what operating system are you using?
  3. In your face
    Moves
    14 Jul '05 22:34
    Could be loads of things but at a first hark it sounds very virusey. Or perhaps malware. Update and run your AV. You do have one don't you? 😕 If this turns nothing up then run the programs that others have mentioned here. Post the results back here.
  4. Joined
    02 Apr '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '05 22:43
    tried adaware,spybot,hijack this,shredder,large hammer on top of case,reinstalled aol,removed nortons anti virus,a file called waolexe seems to be hogging my memory(61,000k)which drops to 5000k if I minimise the aol window & just use internet explorer dont know if that means anything.
    will try running the above programmes again & post results,cheers:-)
  5. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    14 Jul '05 22:54
    Originally posted by T140
    internet explorer
    Just modified your post a little, to give you a clue as to the culprit.
  6. In your face
    Moves
    tried adaware,spybot,hijack this,shredder,large hammer on top of case,reinstalled aol,removed nortons anti virus,a file called waolexe seems to be hogging my memory(61,000k)which drops to 5000k if I minimise the aol window & just use internet explorer dont know if that means anything.
    will try running the above programmes again & post results,cheers:-)
    This may be of interest.

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/waol.asp
  7. Joined
    14 Jun '05
    Moves
    Go into safe mode (F8 at startup) and run ad-aware and spybot from there.
    A limited set of drivers are installed and you might be suprised at what is found.
    What operating system do you run?
  8. Joined
    02 Apr '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '05 23:22
    ok I tried adaware etc...nothing serious so I restored my computer back to a earlier date (june 11th just incase some of you are interested??) and opened aol then internet explorer immediately & it opened straight away🙂
    However I did upgrade IE 6.0 with a patch recently & AOL upgrade file thing so I reckon it was one of those 2....maybe?
    Anyway it works (for now!) so chess may resume for the time😉

Thanks for all the help everyone much appreciated...oh well suppose I better reload drivers/hardware again😴
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 03:35
    ...aol...
    There's your problem right there.
  10. Home
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 04:21
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    There's your problem right there.
    I had to reformat my hard drive to get rid of all the aol crap, piles of crap. I had 6 months free, so i took it, wish i dident.
  11. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 10:27
    Originally posted by blindcheesecake
    I had to reformat my hard drive to get rid of all the aol crap, piles of crap. I had 6 months free, so i took it, wish i dident.
    Hey, hey, hey! Give AOL some credit guys... those free CD's they offer everywhere make GREAT coasters and beer mats!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree