1. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 02:20
    Well, this is the Help forum,

I'm painting some interior doors with latex paint. I am applying it with rollers, the roller claims to lay down a smooth layer, but the surface comes out slightly rough. Like orange peeling in auto and aircraft painting. I don't think it should matter that I'm painting outside. I'm in a shed with a windbreak.
    How to smooth it out? Add a little water?

Any painters out there with some advice?

My thanks in advance,
    Frank
  2. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 07:18
    Originally posted by Frank Burns

I'm painting some interior doors with latex paint. I am applying it with rollers, the roller claims to lay down a smooth layer, but the surface comes out slightly rough. Like orange peeling in auto and aircraft painting. I don't think it should matter that I'm painting outside. I'm in a shed with a windbreak.
    How to ...[text shortened]... a little water?

My thanks in advance,
    Frank
    1. Stop using rollers; use a brush.
    2. Stop doing it yourself! Are there no children around? Wives? Can't you tie a brush to the dog's tail?
    3. Sit in a chair, drink beer, and supervise. Have I taught you nothing?
    4. I just wanted to prove I could count to four, in case there was any doubt.
  3. Earth
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 12:05

My thanks in advance,
    Frank
    Use a brush. The type of paint you are using is more viscous than most, and the surface of the roller therefore creates an uneven surface. And use a quality brush not a cheap one.
    DONT ADD WATER! It needs to be viscous to cover the wood correctly
  4. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 04:58
    Excellent responses! Thank you. I will meld the two togther. My dogs tail is an exquisite brush which I will not dip in water. I will drink plenty of beer as required to finish the project.

But seriously my friends. Thank you for the helpful info. I shall put it to use. No cheap brushes and no watering down. No rollers. Plenty of beer.

Thanks guys, it's greatly appreciated.

Frank
  5. Joined
    18 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 05:09

My thanks in advance,
    Frank
    If it had a finish on it before be sure to use a de-glosser first or sandpaper.
  6. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 19:02
    Originally posted by lepomis
    If it had a finish on it before be sure to use a de-glosser first or sandpaper.
    Yes, in fact I used a heat gun and removed the paint completely. Then puttied in all the nicks and dings and primed it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree