1. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    01 Apr '04 00:47
    I have Norton anti-virus and firewall installed. ONLY - when I am logged in to RHP I keep getting the following 'warning' message from Norton

A remote system is attempting to access microsoft generic host
    process for win32 Services on your computer

program C:Windows\system32\sychost.exe
    protocol is TCP (inbound)

I only get these when logged on to RHP --explanations and advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards

PS while writing this message tha damn thing has appeared about six/seven times
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 Apr '04 08:34
    sVchost.exe or sYChost.exe?

If it is svchost, then this should be running. Anything else, I don’t know.

As for why Norton should object to RHP, I have no idea. We do compress our pages, so that maybe something to do with it....

[I run Norton myself, and I have never seen anything like this though.]

I would run some anti-spyware apps in case you have installed something unwittingly in the past, which I guess could be causing this with Norton running.

-Russ
  3. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    01 Apr '04 23:31
    Originally posted by Russ
    sVchost.exe or sYChost.exe?

If it is svchost, then this should be running. Anything else, I don’t know.

As for why Norton should object to RHP, I have no idea. We do compress our pages, so that maybe something to do with it....

[I run Norton myself, and I have never seen anything like this though.]

I would run some anti-spyware apps in case you h ...[text shortened]... ing unwittingly in the past, which I guess could be causing this with Norton running.

-Russ
    Hi Russ

Thanks for the reply.

It's sychost.exe - but the letters are not capitalised as per your message - they are all lower case.

I run the Norton check every 3/4 days to (try and) ensure my PC is virus free.

Norton doesn't prevent any access to RHP - I was curious to see if anyone knew what the message meant and what Win 32 is.

Regards

Martin

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree