1. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    17 Oct '04 12:06
    Since I've joined RHP, I've made multiple moves daily, often by return.

I've been on holiday for 2 weeks, messaged my opponents to let them know, put the holiday flag on with a message telling people exactly when I'll be back, and I find that over 1/3 have claimed games against me.

It's a shame that people are so desperate for rating and clan points.

Personally, I've resigned all my games and I'll be leaving the site. Despite the fact that many people here have been great, there's too high a percentage of idiots who explout the system to make it fun anymore.
  2. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    17 Oct '04 13:111 edit
    If you play an OTB tournament there's a set time limit. If you go over the limit you lose the game. If you want to have longer to think you play in a slower time controlled tournament.

Likewise, in correspondence chess, there's a set time limit. If you know you're going on vacation, or know you can't make moves at the weekend then you play a slower time control.

I guess I'm sorry that you feel upset at being timed out, and while the RHP userbase is split between the "will/won't" on the timeout issue I will claim a timeout without even a smidgen of guilt or remorse. Not because I want to deprive you of your game but because playing within the allocated time control is just as much a part of the game as knowing which way the pawns move.

In the long run - a timeout or ten doesn't matter. Start a new game, play it, enjoy it .... and just start games with a slower control when you can.
  3. Aberdeen, Scotland
    Moves
    17 Oct '04 15:55
    well said dsb3
  4. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    17 Oct '04 17:25
    Originally posted by WickWelsh
    Since I've joined RHP, I've made multiple moves daily, often by return.

I've been on holiday for 2 weeks, messaged my opponents to let them know, put the holiday flag on with a message telling people exactly when I'll be back, and I find that over 1/3 have claimed games against me.

It's a shame that people are so desperate for rating and clan ...[text shortened]... n great, there's too high a percentage of idiots who explout the system to make it fun anymore.
    Wick Welsh entered at least 2 tournaments which had 3 day time-outs and only 7 day timebanks. But then he goes on holiday for 2 weeks and is surprised that he loses a few games by time-outs. If he knew he was going to be away for so long, he shouldn't have entered those particular tournaments. Also he should have made himself unavailable for clan matches a few months before his vacation. If he had just used a bit of foresight he could have avoided these time-outs. But it's so much easier to blame everyone else but himself and quit the site.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Oct '04 18:18
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    Wick Welsh entered at least 2 tournaments which had 3 day time-outs and only 7 day timebanks. But then he goes on holiday for 2 weeks and is surprised that he loses a few games by time-outs. If he knew he was going to be away for so long, he shouldn't have entered those particular tournaments. Also he should have made himself unavailable for clan matches ...[text shortened]... these time-outs. But it's so much easier to blame everyone else but himself and quit the site.
    That seems a little harsh, Dave. Perhaps you have a point regarding the two tournaments (one which started only a week before his holiday), but to expect someone to not schedule ANY clan games for months before a two week holiday would effectively be asking them to leave the clan because they wanted to have a vacation. That seems a bit much. The few people who timed him out in clan matches even though they knew he was on holiday and had not abandoned the games seem to be acting in poor sportmanship in my view. I would agree that it is immature to quit the site for such a reason and hope he reconsiders; but people seem to be quitting the site for less these days.
  6. UK
    Moves
    18 Oct '04 07:41
    Originally posted by WickWelsh

Personally, I've resigned all my games and I'll be leaving the site. Despite the fact that many people here have been great, there's too high a percentage of idiots who explout the system to make it fun anymore.
    That's your choice, of course, but it is somewhat cutting your nose off to spite your face.

You would be better choosing more appropriate timeouts, and maybe messaging your clan leader or withdrawing yourself from clan games availability if you know you are going on holiday.

Who knows? But there's a lot of people here who don't time out games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree