Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 26 Jul '05 13:22
    Are you able to castle your king here in an online chess game and if so how do you do it? Any help would be appreciated...
  2. 26 Jul '05 13:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by SheerSilkStockings
    Are you able to castle your king here in an online chess game and if so how do you do it? Any help would be appreciated...
    You can only castle king when the king and a castle have not moved before in the match and you can't when your in check. If there is no other pieces in the way you would move the king (2 or 3 spaces) next to the castle, the castle would automatically move onto the other side of the king, but you will have to click move.
  3. 26 Jul '05 14:06
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    You can only castle king when the king and a castle have not moved before in the match and you can't when your in check. If there is no other pieces in the way you would move the king (2 or 3 spaces) next to the castle, the castle would automatically move onto the other side of the king, but you will have to click move.
    Um... Well... You can try moving your king three spaces, but I can tell you it won't work. Look it up in the Help section, there's a chapter on castling.
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    26 Jul '05 14:07
    FAQ
  5. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    26 Jul '05 14:31
    I once spent an evening with Lola or Layla
    She said make me breathless I hid her inhaler.

    (Hovis Presley)
  6. Standard member celticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    26 Jul '05 15:09
    Lolita ?
  7. 26 Jul '05 16:02

    1/ When castling, although two men are moved, it only counts as
    one move.
    2/ When playing on RedHotPawn, you just make the King's move,
    the machine will automatically move the Rook as well.
    3/ When playing on a normal board, the King must be moved first,
    then the Rook.
    4/ Whichever side you castle the King only moves two squares.This
    means that on the King's side the king lands on g1, and on the
    queen's side on c1. (Please note that both Bad wolf and are
    Korinthenkacker are not correct when they say the king moves 3
    squares). In either case the Rook moves to the square the other
    side of the King, (f1 on the King's side, di on the Queen's side).
    5/ All the squares between the King and the rook on the side you
    want to castle must be empty.
    6/ You cannot castle if either the square the King would pass or the
    square it would land on is attacked by one of your opponents
    men. (It does not matter if at that time the rook is attacked, or
    on the queen's side if b1 is attacked).
    7/ The King and the rook you want to castle with must not have
    moved. (If you have moved either man and have moved it back
    to it's original square you cannot castle).
    8/ You cannot castle if you are in check, but if you did not move the
    king to get out of check, you can still castle after being in check,
    provided all the other rules are met.
  8. 26 Jul '05 16:08
    Originally posted by Essex 3
    (Please note that both Bad wolf and are
    Korinthenkacker are not correct when they say the king moves 3
    squares)
    Erm... Where did I say he does? Read again what I wrote...
  9. 27 Jul '05 17:34
    Sorry; I misread your repeat of Bad wolf's message as being part of
    yours. I should also of made the point that my explanation was for
    White. In my items 4/ & 6/ the corresponing moves for Black should be applied.
  10. Standard member Trains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    27 Jul '05 20:16
    Originally posted by SheerSilkStockings
    Are you able to castle your king here in an online chess game and if so how do you do it? Any help would be appreciated...
    Just move the king the two squares and the site will move the rook. (I assume you know the rules of castling) Easy as that! Sincerely, Trains44
  11. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    27 Jul '05 20:49
    Cor! I never realized Castling was such a complicated manoeuvre.