1. Standard memberDerJager
    The Hunter
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 May '12 23:451 edit
    How do I post a already played position, say one that starts at move 40, and then play it out. I know how to post a game with the PGN but not from a already started position.

Also, how do I include in the PGN a promotion to say a queen or Knight?
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 May '12 09:11
    Originally posted by DerJager
    How do I post a already played position, say one that starts at move 40, and then play it out. I know how to post a game with the PGN but not from a already started position.

Also, how do I include in the PGN a promotion to say a queen or Knight?
    The answer to both questions is the same, really. Well, unless you want to hand-hack it, which is possible - but the easy answer is:

Load the game into your favourite PGN viewer (I suggest Chesspad), chop out moves that you don't want and add moves you do want, then copy the result from the viewer "as PGN" and paste into the forum.

Richard
  3. Standard memberDerJager
    The Hunter
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '12 19:22
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    The answer to both questions is the same, really. Well, unless you want to hand-hack it, which is possible - but the easy answer is:

Load the game into your favourite PGN viewer (I suggest Chesspad), chop out moves that you don't want and add moves you do want, then copy the result from the viewer "as PGN" and paste into the forum.

Richard
    I'm not sure I follow-I am trying to figure out how to post a game board in a forum from a already started position (say move 40) and then show a different continuation then was played in the game.

Nate
  4. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    26 May '12 23:581 edit
    Originally posted by DerJager
    I'm not sure I follow-I am trying to figure out how to post a game board in a forum from a already started position (say move 40) and then show a different continuation then was played in the game.

Nate
    Well Nate, you really do need a pgn reader, I take it you have one before I start ?
    Chesspad is good, it's a free download..
    Personally I have just taken a drawn game of my own and basically started adding a few moves beyond that games natural conclusion. I've taken a FEN or EPD of the final position of that game and placed that fen within a pgn. If you hit 'reply and quote' you'll see how I formed this board..all taken from the original which I'll also leave the full pgn for beneath that.
    We can come back to whatever aspect you're struggling with..one step at a time eh 😉

Don;t forget to hit 'reply and quote' to see how each was formed and that the bottom boards final position is the basis for the firsts fen \ epd...let me know what is 'vague' lol and I'll do my best to explain...
    Edit: You can add comments at any stage, offer alternative lines etc..as I say, a step at a time eh...it's best to grasp fully and move on, rather than not really understanding the basics and 'stumbling' through it all...well, that's my take anyway...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree