Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    09 Aug '05 14:12
    Hi, how do you put a chess postion inside a post? cut and paste?
    I haven't done it but I can think of a lot of novice level stuff that
    might help beginners but not sure how you get the position posted.
    Thanks, don
  2. 09 Aug '05 14:15 / 66 edits
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth-Edwards_Notation

    so create the line you want, and don't forget to use the [fen].
  3. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    09 Aug '05 14:19
    Firstly, you need to learn how to write out a position using a basic FEN (Forsyth-Edwards Notation) string.
  4. Standard member ark13
    Enola Straight
    09 Aug '05 16:07
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth-Edwards_Notation

    so create the line you want, and don't forget to use the [fen].
    Bet you had fun with those 66 edits, didn't you?
  5. 09 Aug '05 16:08
    Originally posted by ark13
    Bet you had fun with those 66 edits, didn't you?
    It had to look evil. Just had to. (Get the picture?)
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Aug '05 10:10
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth-Edwards_Notation

    so create the line you want, and don't forget to use the [fen].
    So if I use this FEN notation and just enter in the letters and
    numbers as shown in the article, RHC software will automatically
    recognise the notation and build a chess position from it, right
    in this post?
    rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Aug '05 10:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So if I use this FEN notation and just enter in the letters and
    numbers as shown in the article, RHC software will automatically
    recognise the notation and build a chess position from it, right
    in this post?
    rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1
    guess not
  8. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    10 Aug '05 10:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    guess not
    Stick it inside [fen ] [/fen ] without the spaces.



    You know you could have worked this out by reply quoting a post with one in and looking at what makes it up.
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Aug '05 17:06
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Stick it inside [fen ] [/fen ] without the spaces.

    [fen]rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1[/fen]

    You know you could have worked this out by reply quoting a post with one in and looking at what makes it up.
    I guess so, but that would have required the use of
    actual intelligence which in me is in short supply
    BTW, what is the significance of the KQkq part? It looks redundant,
    and besides that it seems already to have been notated.
    Thanks for the clarification.
  10. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Aug '05 17:13

    lets see if that shows just two kings on the board.
  11. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Aug '05 17:14
    kewl, so the other stuff really is redundant.
  12. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    10 Aug '05 19:32
    Read my post again.
  13. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    10 Aug '05 19:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I guess so, but that would have required the use of
    actual intelligence which in me is in short supply
    BTW, what is the significance of the KQkq part? It looks redundant,
    and besides that it seems already to have been notated.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Castling availability. If neither side can castle, this is "-". Otherwise, this has one or more letters: "K" (White can castle kingside), "Q" (White can castle queenside), "k" (Black can castle kingside), and/or "q" (Black can castle queenside).

    En passant target square. If there's no en passant target square, this is "-". If a pawn has just made a 2-square move, this is the position "behind" the pawn.

    Halfmove clock: This is the number of halfmoves since the last pawn advance or capture. This is used to determine if a draw can be claimed under the fifty move rule.

    Fullmove number: The number of the full move. It starts at 1, and is incremented after Black's move.

    Not redundant however it isn't really used for displaying the board in a post (it would be if you were pasting a position into a viewer to analyse).
  14. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Aug '05 20:02
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Castling availability. If neither side can castle, this is "-". Otherwise, this has one or more letters: "K" (White can castle kingside), "Q" (White can castle queenside), "k" (Black can castle kingside), and/or "q" (Black can castle queenside).

    En passant target square. If there's no en passant target square, this is "-". If a pawn has jus ...[text shortened]... aying the board in a post (it would be if you were pasting a position into a viewer to analyse).
    Hey Xan, thanks a bunch, thats a big help.
    Bowmann: Read his post and YOU figure out which post is more
    worthwhile, your single sentence response which is your style to
    the real information given by Xan. I have the same problem with your
    response to my post about spyware and anti-spy ware progs,
    one liners imparting nothing but your own limited knowledge of the
    subject.
  15. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    10 Aug '05 22:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Hey Xan, thanks a bunch, thats a big help.
    Bowmann: Read his post and YOU figure out which post is more
    worthwhile, your single sentence response which is your style to
    the real information given by Xan.
    How does familiarizing yourself with a full FEN string help you to post a position?