1. Joined
    03 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 May '08 07:38
    If you are challenged by a player from another country, make sure that the agreed time between moves is sufficient to cater for international time differences.
    I recently lost a game to a player in another country who had specified a 1 day move time.
    At a key point in our game, he put me into check (not checkmate) then claimed a timeout win - ie I was still asleep when the time expired. Certainly a most unethical move but I should have known better when I accepted the challenge.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 May '08 11:24
    1 day means you get 1 day ... doesnt matter what time-zone you are in! You didn't move in 24 hours so you lost.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    17 May '08 11:28
    Originally posted by anotherdon
    If you are challenged by a player from another country, make sure that the agreed time between moves is sufficient to cater for international time differences.
    I recently lost a game to a player in another country who had specified a 1 day move time.
    At a key point in our game, he put me into check (not checkmate) then claimed a timeout win - ie I was s ...[text shortened]... . Certainly a most unethical move but I should have known better when I accepted the challenge.
    Did you sleep for 24 hours?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 May '08 12:49
    If you move one time each day, you shouldn't have any problem, none at all.

1 day thinking time is minimum. Times bolow 24 hours, then such problems can arise. The minimum is there for a reason.
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 May '08 10:20
    Many people will give extra time in friendly games, but to do so in clan games is letting the team down, so you must expect swift timeouts in these games.
  6. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    20 May '08 22:50
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    Many people will give extra time in friendly games, but to do so in clan games is letting the team down, so you must expect swift timeouts in these games.
    Swift timeouts, i.e., clicking the skull, is something I always do immediately. Those skulls don't stay on my screen for more than a minute or two, and I'm always aware of when one is due to appear.
    I don't give advance notice like some do on their profile page, because the clock is part of the game, it's in the rules of chess, and I assume my opponent knows the rules of this great game. If your clock expires in OTB play or on RHP, then 'click,' you lose. I consider it a legitimate and honourable win, which it definitely is, according to the laws of chess.
  7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    21 May '08 00:38
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If you move one time each day, you shouldn't have any problem, none at all
    With 1/0 time you have to rewire your thinking about "move 1 time each day". If you move (for example) by at least 10am local time each day, then no problem. But if you think "move once a day" means move once on Tuesday and then once on Wednesday and you wait till noon on Wednesday to move, then yes you may find yourself skulled. The original poster seems to be taking it in stride and will remember a lesson.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree