1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 08:28
    Hello lads and lassies,

I've bought a laptop (not a dancer though) and I'm at the point of deciding what sort of internet link I should get.

The choice is basically two-fold:

1. Either a mobile internet abonnement which will give me a "download speed" of 1 mb, but I can log in where-ever I want (which would seem to me to be ideal for a laptop..).

2. A very fast home-abonnement, which would have a 20 mb download speed.

Now, the reason I'm asking it here, is because this site is probably the site I frequent most often.
    Other than this one, I frequent discussion sites, e-mail and I'm starting a webpage (and if I ever need to upload large files, I'll be able to do that at someone else's house).

Is 1 mb speed enough?
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '09 10:501 edit
    1. most mobiles seem to run at 3.6Mb - are you sure the 1 isn't the monthly download limit?
    2. Quoted 20Mb may or may not be attainable in your particular case. They don't guarantee it! - and then there's contention, etc. to worry about.

I've got 2 identical accounts from the same provider - both nominally 8Mb. The office one always runs at 8. The home one runs at about 0.7 most of the time, peaking at about 1.5.
    Either way, it's plenty fast enough for most purposes - this site included.

Edit -

If it was personal use only, I'd dump the fixed account and use the mobile only - it would be cheaper for my usage. And then I'd dump the land line too! The only real downside of mobiles is if you find yourself in a black spot. To cover this I keep a pay-as-you-go with another provider for use if I'm desperate.
  3. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 11:53
    if u want to go for the mobile thingy id make sure u either get it at KPN or Vodafone, since thier networks are the best.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '09 18:31
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    if u want to go for the mobile thingy id make sure u either get it at KPN or Vodafone, since thier networks are the best.
    I agree entirely - coverage in the areas you go to is the key.
    As it happens, my PAYG is a Vodafone. My 'contract' one is with 3 - and to be honest coverage is pretty dire in the UK outside major cities. It is, however, cheap for roaming - so for outside the UK (where I need it most) it's ideal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree