1. Standard memberAsthereal
    Dark Matter
    Maastricht
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 12:17
    Computerfreaks unite and please help me!

My internet breaks down all the time and it costs me way too many rhp-games 😠 so I need to get it fixed properly.

The construction is like this:
    We have internet shared over a router. The router breaks down all the time and the helpdesk has no idea what the problem is. We got a new router from the shop but the problem returned and now the period in which we can get it fixed for nothing has ended. I'm sure it has to be something else than the router itself because we had a new one and it still breaks down. They cannot all be bad routers, can they?

When the router breaks down, you cannot really see anything weird on it. It seams to be still working correctly. I can also still get my computer to access the network, but the internet is just gone. The router in question is a normal linksys router that you could get about anywhere two years ago.

Has anyone had similar problems and managed to fix them? Or is there anyone here smart enough to just know the problem and the way to fix it?

Any good help would be much appreciated!
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 15:59
    I'm guessing you have a DSL internet connection and you're experiencing what's called "sync, no surf" - the modem seems to be behaving properly, but you can't surf the internet.

It could be the modem - some modems that use the Alcatel chipsets were known to behave funny.
    Or it's the phone line the modem is on which is behaving funny - there's too much interference on the line at times which causes the modem to hang.

Contact your ISP and ask them to test the parameters of the line, if the parameters meet the specification of whatever internet speed you have. The faster the internet connection, the better the line parameters must be to maintain a good connection.
  3. Standard memberAsthereal
    Dark Matter
    Maastricht
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 16:451 edit
    Ow forgot to mention. We use the cable for internet. If we reset the router, the stuff works again immidiately, so the internet itself should be fine. Sorry I forgot to add this. 😳

edit: Nice pic 😀
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 17:57
    Maybe you could try a newer router from a different maker.
    But I would still contact the ISP to check if the cable is fine.
  5. Standard memberAsthereal
    Dark Matter
    Maastricht
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 18:04
    Originally posted by Kalhornov
    Maybe you could try a newer router from a different maker.
    But I would still contact the ISP to check if the cable is fine.
    Ok thanks. 🙂 I'll try that.
  6. Maryland
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 20:13
    Do any of the computers connected to the router use bittorrent? That can cause the symptoms you described with the stock Linksys firmware.
  7. Standard memberAsthereal
    Dark Matter
    Maastricht
    Moves
    26 Oct '07 20:43
    Originally posted by clu
    Do any of the computers connected to the router use bittorrent? That can cause the symptoms you described with the stock Linksys firmware.
    I'm the only one who uses torrents and we had the problems way begore any of us knew about torrents. The other guys I'm on the internet with don't know so much about computers and software so they use the net mostly for e-mail and msn.

Thanks for the help anyway 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree