1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 19:25
    Originally posted by THE Maverick
    here here king dave... chess is classified as a strategy game not a sport!!!! Heres a good strategy... play chess and stop debating crap!!!!
    Chess is in the sports section of the NY Times.

Also, from Wikipedia.org:

Chess

(Sanskrit: Chaturanga) is an abstract strategy board game and mental sport for two players. The object of the game is to checkmate the opponent's king. This occurs when the king is under immediate attack (in check) and there is no way to prevent it from being captured on the next move...

Has anyone taken the time to look the word sport up yet?

Also, this really doesn't belong in the help section... but is yet to be alerted as off topic for the forum.

P-
  2. Joined
    28 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 19:41
    yes chess is a sport it requires a stadagy
  3. Joined
    28 Sep '06
    Moves
  4. Joined
    28 Sep '06
    Moves
    bring it on
  5. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    28 Sep '06 19:51
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    What could be more sporting than driving in a circle 400 times with a car identical to the 39 other cars also driving in a circle 400 times?

For sheer sportsmanship, it doesn't get any better, unless you include professional wrestling.
    Always amusing when someone does not hide how little they know about something and then go ahead and make an opinion about it.

The physical difficulties of the sport are well known - excessive G force, while being rocked around in the seat while still requiring such accurate fine motor skills. And I am not even a NASCAR fan, but intelligent enough to realize the factors involved in the sport, and how difficult it must be. Your average good driver would probably not make it around one lap, and if he did - we be so far behind it wouldnt even be called last.
  6. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 00:36
    yes, yes i know...really shouldn't've put this thread here. sorry. I specifically needed help with that question.

the general concensus appears to be YES

sport, for all those clueless 😕 minds = an activity requiring skill, esp. physical &/or athletic skill in which there is competition.

so the fact the ESPECIALLY physical &/or athletic skill is part of the definition, that's a reason why chess is doubted a sport. I believe it is 1) an activity 2) requiring skill 3) in which there's competition - thus a sport. No need to right an essay though 😉 but if u were, I'd say it is easier to defend it as a sport than attack.
  7. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 17:16
    Originally posted by impatient
    Always amusing when someone does not hide how little they know about something and then go ahead and make an opinion about it.

The physical difficulties of the sport are well known - excessive G force, while being rocked around in the seat while still requiring such accurate fine motor skills. And I am not even a NASCAR fan, but intelligent enough to ...[text shortened]... not make it around one lap, and if he did - we be so far behind it wouldnt even be called last.
    Hmm. My brother was a WERA Superbike champion, and my father is a long time autocross enthusiast with a state SCAA title under his belt in the most competitive racing class.

You're right -- I probably know very little.

Put bluntly, NASCAR is the laughingstock of motorsports. You don't have to take a few laps around Talladega Motor Speedway to know that driving in a circle isn't remotely as challenging as managing, say, an F1 course.
  8. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 20:12
    Hmm. My brother was a WERA Superbike champion, and my father is a long time autocross enthusiast with a state SCAA title under his belt in the most competitive racing class.

You're right -- I probably know very little.

Put bluntly, NASCAR is the laughingstock of motorsports. You don't have to take a few laps around Talladega Motor Speedway to know that driving in a circle isn't remotely as challenging as managing, say, an F1 course.
    You must be confused - or are you saying that since you have relative who race motorcycles (i.e. you have not) that you are an expert on Nascar (they drive cars you know -dissimilar to motorcycles).

Acting like you are totally sure about something 1) you have never done 2) relate to racing a different vehicle altogether really leaves a credibility issue.

Now, if someone came on and said they themselves (not a family member) raced motorcycles, Nascar, F1, etc, and still said Nascar was not a sport, it would interest me.
    You are simply amoung the millions of people in this world who spout off with strong opinions on topics where they have no first hand knowledge.

Again, I am not a Nascar fan, but have enough common sense to realize it is probably more challenging than a non-driver realizes. It may be less challening than motorcross, F1, etc - but is still a sport, and hardly a lauging stock, judging by the millions upon millions of fans. I think it ranks amoung the top 3 spectator sports and gross revenue sports in the world.
  9. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 20:40
    You must be confused - or are you saying that since you have relative who race motorcycles (i.e. you have not) that you are an expert on Nascar (they drive cars you know -dissimilar to motorcycles).

Acting like you are totally sure about something 1) you have never done 2) relate to racing a different vehicle altogether really leaves a credibility iss ...[text shortened]... fans. I think it ranks amoung the top 3 spectator sports and gross revenue sports in the world.
    SCCA = car racing, smart guy. Or didn't you know that?

I agree with you that NASCAR is a sport. I didn't say otherwise; I implied that it's a dumb sport (which it is). I also said that it doesn't require the same level of skill as driving in a Formula 1 race (which it doesn't).

The fact that millions of people support it means nothing. Lots of people band together to support dumb enterprises.

Millions of people watch professional wrestling. That doesn't have any bearing on how stupid it most assuredly is.

Millions of folks voted for Bush. Twice, in fact. That doesn't make Bush a great president.
  10. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 22:551 edit
    SCCA = [b]car racing, smart guy. Or didn't you know that?

I agree with you that NASCAR is a sport. I didn't say otherwise; I implied that it's a dumb sport (which it is). I also said that it doesn't require the same level of skill as driving in a Formula 1 race (which it doesn't).

The fact that millions of people support it means nothing. Lots o llions of folks voted for Bush. Twice, in fact. That doesn't make Bush a great president.[/b]
    None of that changes the fact that you are spouting off about something you have no directly knowledge of.

SCCA or SCAA???? Better figure which it is- not helping your cause of trying to convice anyone that you know what you are talking about.
  11. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 23:28
    None of that changes the fact that you are spouting off about something you have no directly knowledge of.

SCCA or SCAA???? Better figure which it is- not helping your cause of trying to convice anyone that you know what you are talking about.
    I think anyone who sees SCAA or SCCA in close conjunction with the word "autocross" will take the appropriate meaning.

Except for you, apparently, who confused autocross with motocross.
  12. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 00:12
    I think anyone who sees SCAA or SCCA in close conjunction with the word "autocross" will take the appropriate meaning.

Except for you, apparently, who confused autocross with motocross.
    "I dont know how to spell it, but they know what I mean"

Keep on beleiving it!

Sounds like George Bush.
  13. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 22:42
    "I dont know how to spell it, but they know what I mean"

Keep on beleiving it!

Sounds like George Bush.
    That's rich, coming from you. A cursory glance at your forum posts reveals a translucently thin grasp of standard English syntax, grammar, and spelling. I can elaborate with specific examples, if, as Br'er Fox might suggest, you want to punch the tar baby some more.
  14. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    30 Sep '06 22:57
    I think one must assume that there is at least a theoretical solution to chess. If there is a solution to it, then I am not sure it is a sport anymore. One could of course argue that even with the solution known, it is a sport to try and comprehend/apply it all, but I do not think that is what most people think of chess as. Is Nim a sport? I would not say so. If Nim was an NA-problem, then maybe. Perhaps it is a sport because it is a non-trivial game. The similiarities with sport is that it requires mentals, such as memory, stamina, calculation. Such limits are probably improved by physical advantage as well. Another similiarity with sports is that there are competitions held in it. To me the word "challenge", carries almost the same meaning, except that a challenge must not be under organized forms. I think my answer is that it is a game... and a sport, if you want it to. It can be a sport, if you compete in it. Though some might say it is not a sport, it is a science or an art.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree