1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 17:21
    Hi,
    Is it considered legitimate on timeforchess to refer to a chess openings book like Modern Chess Openings, while playing a game? For example can I refer to MCO's coverage of the Ruy Lopez while playing it or while playing against it? If so, is it legit to refer to an openings web site that basically has the same info as MCO, like http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/? This site is not a chess machine -- it does not "calculate" the next move for you but it does analyze the main lines of various openings and in some cases analyzes common pitfalls - just like MCO. Thanks, Jim
  2. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    16 Jan '09 18:39
    The ToS says:

b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.

So yes, it is allowed.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 06:12
    Thanks, given no rebuttals, I'll take your reply as definitive.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 06:56
    Big book that you turn the pages on, no problem, big book program that turns the pages for you, big problem.

What's the difference exactly?
  5. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 13:111 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Big book that you turn the pages on, no problem, big book program that turns the pages for you, big problem.

What's the difference exactly?
    One of the differences is that books are based on actual played games by humans, and at some point you will inevitably 'leave' the book and have to think for yourself. If you use a chess engine, you never have to think and always can use the suggested engine move.
    Another difference is that book moves might not be the best moves, since the book can be outdated, and the book is based on human analysis (computer assisted no doubt). So you have to be carefull even when playing book moves.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 14:46
    i could send you my chess book. since i live in nigeria there are
    currency controls imposed by the world bank so it will be necesary for you to send me a bank draft to be deposited directly into my account with th bank of england. sincerely, mtombo joseph, chief finance director, bank of nigeria.
  7. Standard memberEly Ziggy
    My name is not Ely.
    Pennsylvania
    Moves
    17 Jan '09 16:39
    How would anyone know if you used any outside references?
  8. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 00:12
    Originally posted by Ely Ziggy
    theres a team of people here that checks games of suspicious players. they run the game through and engine and see what % match it comes up with.
  9. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 05:36
    Originally posted by Ely Ziggy
    Every time I win a game they are suspicious and try to find out how I got help.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 19:00
    Originally posted by coquette
    Every time I win a game they are suspicious and try to find out how I got help.
    holy shyt you've played a lot of chess.

6000 games in 2 1/2 years 😲
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Jan '09 22:16
    Originally posted by trev33
    holy shyt you've played a lot of chess.

6000 games in 2 1/2 years 😲
    I should have 6000 games easy by 2098 or so.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree