1. Joined
    31 Aug '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 12:03
    Since joining this site my browser pops up ads every few seconds and says Im infected with spyware. Is this site ruining my browser by running stuff on it?

Thunderduck
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '04
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 12:05
    p.s. I posted this same message in the CHESS ONLY forum by mistake.. sorry..
  3. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 12:13
    From what I know: no. Russ (and Chis!) goes to great efforts to make this site a safe haven from net madness. You are probably suffering from some nasty picked up elsewhere at the same sort of time.

Alas for your current situation, I'm afraid its time for a full virus scan / spyware scan.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 12:55
    Did you click any ads and download any software, possibly?

-Russ
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '04
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 00:33
    No, I havent clicked on anything. Im referring mainly to the ad that pops up every few minutes that says I have spyware on my browser, and to click on the ad to remove it. Is the ad lying? It only appears when Im on this site...
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 00:43
    Originally posted by Thunderduck
    No, I havent clicked on anything. Im referring mainly to the ad that pops up every few minutes that says I have spyware on my browser, and to click on the ad to remove it. Is the ad lying? It only appears when Im on this site...
    It's only an ad that pops up at random along with a variety of other ones. Nothing to worry about I don't think. Just ignore it.

All non-subscribers are exposed to these ads, and once you become a subscriber they will no longer appear at all.

regards, Marc
  7. Serbia
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 10:43
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    All non-subscribers are exposed to these ads, and once you become a subscriber they will no longer appear at all.
    I'm a non-subscriber, and I haven't been exposed to pop-up ads for all time that I've been using this site (only ads on the pages), and I guess it is not browser problem either because I used: Opera, Internet Explorer, Firefox and had no problems. Thunderduck I guess you picked this annoying ad on some other site.
  8. Standard memberRed Matrix
    Adm¡nistrator
    Rio Grande Valley
    Moves
    03 Sep '04 08:13
    Do you do the same thing every day that you visit this site?
    Do you visit this site the same time every day?
    Have you tried another browser and visit this site?

Perhaps you could delete all your temp downloaded files, and perhaps cookies too, run Ad-Aware or something. Then (to be sure) reboot, visit RHP again, and see if it comes back.

Anyhoo, perhaps the AD is lying about spyware, but you sure do have adware! lol.

BTW, i never get ads (pop up or banners) with RHP, not even when i was a non-sub. I have an adblocker.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree