1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    05 Aug '04 23:01
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    It isn't just new members who abuse the forum. Pawnstars and others who have been around long enough to know better are just as guilty, in my opinion.

Marc
    Agreed. But people who have been around a while or who have even joined can have their privileges revoked. A troller has no such preoccupation; closing the troller's account has no meaning to him/her.

Nemesio
  2. Muncie, IN
    Moves
    06 Aug '04 19:09
    I like the idea of limiting posts even more stringently. Ten posts per day strikes me as a lot. This is (IMHO) supposed to be a community of chess players. I think Russ is right in wanting to build up the community aspect of the site and forums are a good way to do that, but I don't think that requires encouraging trolls to join for the purpose of making trouble on the forums. I'd say limit them to 3 posts (and one new thread) per day for the first week and then (if and only if they have been moving -- say 10-20 moves) increase their limit to 5 or 7 per day until they are no longer "new". That could be defined as 100 to 250 moves. Encourage new players to read the forums, to post a few well considered thoughts, and especially to play chess! The limits might be made more liberal for paid-up members, but I think the points made on this thread are all basically valid: we want chess players, not just trolls.

Best Regards,
    Paul

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree