Limiting Posts, Revisiting the Idea.  Russ?

Limiting Posts, Revisiting the Idea. Russ?

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
04 Aug 04

Over the past few months, several people (including me) have suggested limiting the number of posts made by non-Pawn Stars. This has been met with some resistance, largely because there are a number of very reasonable and active people on the site who have, for whatever reason, not become Pawn Stars.

How about this: Since most people who troll and are stupid tend to lose interest in a matter of minutes or hours at best, I propose limiting the number of posts to 10/day for new members, which could be defined as anyone who has made less 250 moves or been members for a week. Anyone who wants to continue posting after making that many moves or coming back after a week is very likely not going to be a moron.

Also, most recently, someone circumvented being banned by making four or so different usernames. This could be avoided by limiting the number of new users from an IP to one a day. There could be some sort of message to email a moderator for the occasional and unlikely possibility that two different people will be trying to make two different accounts.

What do you think, Russ? RHP Community?

Nemesio

p
High Priest

The Volcano

Moves
04 Aug 04

I was just about to post a similar idea myself. Simple, direct, and probably effective: nobody under a certain number of moves (say 100? 200?) can post at all.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
04 Aug 04

I'll paste this here also, from general forums....

I was thinking a simple one also.... I don't think it should be based on your number of chess moves... Some poeple have honest questions they might need to ask in the forums before 100 moves...

I was thinking if they sign up for a new account, RHP should give them their first password... and email it to them.

They check the email, and sign on... and can change the password if they want.

Now, if you make 9 user names, you need to have 9 email addresses.... I think I've only got a good 3 or 5 I could use...

Anyway, that would have stopped the crappy problem today, no problem.

P-

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
04 Aug 04

That last post gets my rec. I would still limit the number of posts to 10 before 250 moves or one week of membership. Newbies do have legitimate questions (most of which are answered in the help stuff, but still we shouldn't discourage them). If newbies have more than 10 questions in 24 hours, then they are just being lazy...the site isn't that hard.

Nemesio

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Aug 04
1 edit

Originally posted by nemesio
That last post gets my rec. I would still limit the number of posts to 10 before 250 moves or one week of membership. Newbies do have legitimate questions (most of which are answered in the help stuff, but still we shouldn't discourage t ...[text shortened]... n they are just being lazy...the site isn't that hard.

Nemesio
You also earn a rec, not cuz you rec'd me.... Your second post is good because why does any newbie need to post 10 posts or more in a day? If a new user realized they get 10 posts per day... we might avoid posts like this one...

--------------------------------------

😀🙄😛🙂😀😵😵😏

o
rockin soccer kid

over there

Moves
05 Aug 04

or you could just limit posting to just the help forum

R

Finland

Moves
05 Aug 04

Originally posted by opsoccergurl11
or you could just limit posting to just the help forum
That might just lead them to post off-topic stuff to the help forum, 'Yeah I know this would belong to the Debates forum but I cannot post there and this is really important'

T

Moves
05 Aug 04
1 edit

Originally posted by Phlabibit
I'll paste this here also, from general forums....

I was thinking a simple one also.... I don't think it should be based on your number of chess moves... Some poeple have honest questions they might need to ask in the forums before ...[text shortened]... would have stopped the crappy problem today, no problem.

P-
alas as I replied in the general forum: very easily circumnavigatable. But perhaps that is not an issue if it stops pc-illiterate trolls.

Edit: still can't spell.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Aug 04

paste-o-tated from G forms.....

Yes, but at least it will slow them down... as it is now a troll can pop in and out in seconds.... I'm just trying to make it harder for the guy who comes in and acts 'crappy', gets banned... and is back in 40 seconds.

Don't teach the trolls to troll better!

Probably best is comobonations of all ideas offered so far!

P-

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Aug 04

Originally posted by Rabella
That might just lead them to post off-topic stuff to the help forum, 'Yeah I know this would belong to the Debates forum but I cannot post there and this is really important'
I'd personally delete that.... and send a warning.

P-

T

Moves
05 Aug 04
1 edit

As one can't really stop the troll, Phlab is right that slow-em down is the route to go.

emails and ISP numbers can all be masked by those that know how, but most don't and so it would hassle most potential trolls.

consider also:
'newbie' status: (first 2 weeks or after 250 moves)
Can send 10 messages / day (either by rhp internal or rhp email)
max. 10 posts / day
Can start one thread per day max. If they start a thread: it goes in a 'to be mod-ed' bin where it will only become an active thread once a mod (eventually) OKs it. They'll get a message to that effect.
Support a "delete all" button a mod can use on a newbie: deletes all posts irrespective (so mods don't have to hunt them down)
Allow the mods a "suspend newbie posting / messages" so as soon as a new troll goes active, the mods can stop them rather than needing Russ / Chrismo to step in.

that gives more than enough leeway to actively post, disappears after 2 weeks, and inhibits a bit of trolling, but not much really.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Aug 04

Originally posted by Toe
As one can't really stop the troll, Phlab is right that slow-em down is the route to go.

emails and ISP numbers can all be masked by those that know how, but most don't and so it would hassle most potential trolls.

consider also:
'newbie' status: (first 2 weeks or after 250 moves)
Can send 10 messages / day (either by rhp internal or rhp email)
max. ...[text shortened]... actively post, disappears after 2 weeks, and inhibits a bit of trolling, but not much really.
Some good ideas there. I think the delay post is a good idea for newbies also... wait for a mod to read it BEFORE it goes to public! Let the newbies know this will change once they have been at the site and become trusted.

It would also be a nice feature for the frustrated RHP user who goes NUTS everyonce in a while... I could have used that when the boys were worried who's stealling who's clan members in the Clans forum.... rather than deleting them later, they don't go up until we say it is ok!

Did you like my word comobonations? Geesh!

P-

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
05 Aug 04

Here's my concern about this last idea:

The number of PEOPLE doing obnoxious posts is small, even if the number of posts isn't. But, the number of new people joining and posting in ernest might require more moderation than the trollers.

And, imagine being new and being confused (c'mon, you were there once). Imagine you are having a problem and you post, only to have to wait 5, 15, or even 60 minutes before your post even shows up, much less answered. That would discourage people from using the site.

Whatever solution is chosen for the trolling problem, it has to 1) Make it hard for trollers to be obnoxious, while 2) Still allows newbies to interact in a reasonable way.

Nemesio

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Aug 04

Originally posted by nemesio
Here's my concern about this last idea:

The number of PEOPLE doing obnoxious posts is small, even if the number of posts isn't. But, the number of new people joining and posting in ernest might require more moderation than the trollers.

And, imagine being new and being confused (c'mon, you were there once). Imagine you are having a problem and you ...[text shortened]... lers to be obnoxious, while 2) Still allows newbies to interact in a reasonable way.

Nemesio
True, true, true... there are times of day when no mods are around for hours!

But if they are new users, they wouldn't realize posts used to go up right away... so they have nothing to compare it to. Sort of like when you send an email... you don't get an aswer in 2 seconds.... things take time.

So, I'm still not swayed... but it aint up to me! Russ found 3 user names that were all the same guy today... so he's got a better way to track these things and that might be solution enough!

Go Russ

P-

RHP Member No.16

Moves
05 Aug 04

It isn't just new members who abuse the forum. Pawnstars and others who have been around long enough to know better are just as guilty, in my opinion.

Marc