Standard memberpeacedog
Help 28 Jan '09 17:48
  1. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 17:48
    Game 5897040

What happened here? Can the result be changed?
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 17:51
    Originally posted by peacedog
    Game 5897040

What happened here? Can the result be changed?
    USE FEEDBACK NOW! (BUG REPORT)

http://www.timeforchess.com/core/feedback.php
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/feedback.php
    etc.

Admins don't look in here often enough.

P-
  3. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 17:57
    Thanks for the advice, will do.

Maybe the FAQ should be changed as it says to post here rather than use Feedback! 🙄
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 18:43
    Thanks for the advice, will do.

Maybe the FAQ should be changed as it says to post here rather than use Feedback! 🙄
    Ah... post here first because MANY times there is NO bug at all.

Next, when it is verified as a bug... feedback is sent.

You wouldn't believe how many times people think there is a bug but they just don't see what's going on.

P-
  5. Joined
    07 Apr '04
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 20:56
    Just wondering, did you have a conditional move set up for your next move? If so, it might help if you include that information when you contact Russ.
  6. Arese
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 22:37
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=5883573

Take a look this!
  7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 23:36
  8. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 08:50
    So when white is just one move from mate, black miraculously wins, eh?

Hmm, I wonder how I can use this. Heh heh. Mwaaa-ha-ha-haaaa! 😀
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 11:505 edits
    Post retracted. (And not just to save my blushes 😳).
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 17:50
    This bug has been reproduced. (Very happy about this!)

The conditional moves interface has been switched off until a fix can be uploaded.

Any existing conditional moves will be played out as normal - it is the interface itself at fault.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 15:12
    A bug in the conditional move interface was responsible for the unexpected mates.

This has now been fixed - some very good descriptions of how the bug occurred by 2 people really helped get to the bottom of this. So thanks for that.

For those who are interested, the bug involved placing yourself in mate, then trying to submit a move out of it on the conditional move interface. This resulted in a short-circuit in the RHP code declaring the game as over based on the current state of the conditional board.

It was a rare bug, but we can sleep easier now knowing it has been squished.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 15:23
    Originally posted by Russ
    A bug in the conditional move interface was responsible for the unexpected mates.

This has now been fixed - some very good descriptions of how the bug occurred by 2 people really helped get to the bottom of this. So thanks for that.

For those who are interested, the bug involved placing yourself in mate, then trying to submit a move out of it on the cond ...[text shortened]... tional board.

Well done, Russ!
  13. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 17:41
    Originally posted by Russ

For those who are interested, the bug involved placing yourself in mate, then trying to submit a move out of it on the cond ...[text shortened]... tional board.

Ah, that explains a lot. When you said that the bug was connected to the conditional moves I was sceptical as I was 99% sure I never submitted any. I never considered that it was my opponent who made the conditional move sequence. Good work.
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 17:551 edit
    Ah, that explains a lot. When you said that the bug was connected to the conditional moves I was sceptical as I was 99% sure I never submitted any. I never considered that it was my opponent who made the conditional move sequence. Good work.
    The lack of recorded conditional moves against games that had this problem almost made us rule it out, but the timing of the first occurrence was around the time of the non-beta release of conditional moves. So, there had to be a connection somewhere...

Can't take the credit for this one really, fixing the bug was straight forward once the issue could be replicated, and Chris was on a mission to find the cause which lead to the discovery of the problem once he messaged players reporting the problem.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree