1. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    16 Aug '04 05:19
    I would like to start an unrated game that is annotated by both players in a public thread in the Chess forum for that single game. I think this could be very useful and fun.

Is there any reason we could not do this? There is some sort of prohibition against commenting publicly on an ongoing game, but this seems like a good exception.

Would this be alright? If you are a moderator or site operator, please see my Game 624856 for an example of the annotation.
  2. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    16 Aug '04 05:51
    Unrated game,both players agree to comment = no problem at all.
    And a very good idea as well!

Sir Lot.
  3. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    16 Aug '04 07:57
    Why don't we get (in addition to public games) "tutorial games" where everybody can read the messages (they shoud then be called annotaions) between the two opponents. These games are unrated.
    Perhaps someone here has some good ideas to improve the message-to-opponent system and perhaps Russ adds the option to export in the pgn the messages as well.
    Anybody could search easily for these tutorial games and perhaps it is possible to classify them by opening...
    I think this could be fun!
    th
  4. Standard membertejo
    a unique loser
    LIAAA
    Moves
    16 Aug '04 08:43
    It is a very good idea. I think it is also good for the site if it can offer tutorial games. I think it can attract more people. A good idea worth thinking about.
  5. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    16 Aug '04 14:082 edits
    Dear MODERATOR: I was hoping to post a message to you not realizing it just sets a flag?

Could you please comment on this idea and explain to me how we can enforce civility? I don't understand how the moderetor function works. I think this idea will fail if people become abusive (e.g. "stupid move, that" ).

Thanks
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Aug '04 14:152 edits
    Originally posted by zucchini
    Dear MODERATOR: I was hoping to post a message to you not realizing it just sets a flag?

Could you please comment on this idea and explain to me how we can enforce civility? I don't understand how the moderetor function works. I think ...[text shortened]... f people become abusive (e.g. "stupid move, that" ).

Thanks
    This could be done already... with a thread in the Chess forums called ('Game Number' / Public Commenting )

IF 2 players agree to this, and the game should(???) be unrated?

As each move is made, post in your public thread after the move giving us your move number?!

Russ could eventually make this an option in game some time... so lets see if he ever reads this thread and gets time to make those changes???

Usually when a post is alerted by the author, it means they want it erased... but I read your note.

P-

Edit! I am also thinking it would work better as a thread in chess forums anyway, you get one hour to make edits if you like... or post more notes if you see something new you missed.

If the notes were in game, you couldn't make any more notes or any edits to the text.
  7. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    16 Aug '04 15:264 edits
    Thanks Phlabibit.

So here is an outline proposal for how to do this. Please (anyone) add your suggestions, as we will start these threads soon. This assumes that the game is unrated and that both players have agreed to make the game notes public.

(0) Create the new game so it has an ID.
    (1) Create a thread for the game in the Chess forum with the game number in the thread title as "Game <ID#>: Public commenting".
    Include these guidelines in the first post, and also add a link to the game.
    (2) Each player posts comments for their own move just before moving.
    The first line of a move post should start with the move number and selected move in standard form in bold using the [ b ] tag.
    Annotations follow in whatever form the poster desires. FENs can be inserted using the [ fen ] tag (not yet implemented?).
    (3) Others are allowed to post, but, to avoid confusion, should not make their post look like a move post by one of the players.
    (4) Any rude comments should be alerted to the moderator immediately. I think this idea can be really good for this site, and I don't want to see people discouraged from participating, especially due to inexperience.
  8. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    17 Aug '04 14:05
    We do have one problem. How can a mistake be corrrected after the edit period expires?

I wrote my move incorrectly for my 3rd move, in my game 632841 thread.

It also would be nice if there were a way for observers to attach their comments to a specific post so that the order makes more sense.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 Aug '04 14:581 edit
    We do have one problem. How can a mistake be corrrected after the edit period expires?

It also would be nice if there were a way for observers to attach their comments to a specific post so that the order makes more sense.
    I wish there was a way I could edit that 3rd move for you. There is not.

Perhaps if you had a web page rather than a thread? You could edit a web page much easier than an RHP thread.

Sorry no solution!

P-
  10. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    03 Sep '04 14:281 edit
    Two more guidelines to add to those above:

(5) Move about once a day to allow others a chance to check in on the game and comment at the appropriate spot. (There is no way to insert a comment after a post).
    (6) Please remember that most games on this site do not allow public comments while the game is in progress. Although comments on this game are appreciated, do not comment on games that are not specifically identified as wanting public comment by both players.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    03 Sep '04 15:49

Have you tried asking Russ? He and Chris have the ability to edit posts after the edit period has expired. May be worth an ask... 🙂
  12. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    06 Sep '04 17:16
    Updated guidelines:

All such games are unrated and both players agree to make the game notes public.

(0) Create the new game so it has an ID.
    (1) Create a thread for the game in the Chess forum with the game number in the thread title as "Game <ID#>: <user> vs. <user>: Public comments".
    Include these guidelines in the first post, and also add a link to the game. Indicate what type of commenting you want from readers: analysis of moves already made or a full-training game where suggestions can be made.
    (2) Each player posts comments for their own move just before moving.
    The first line of a move post should start with the move number and selected move in standard form in bold using the [ b ] tag.
    Annotations follow in whatever form the poster desires. FENs can be inserted using the [ fen ] tag (not yet implemented?).
    (3) Others are allowed to post, but, to avoid confusion, should not make their post look like a move post by one of the players.
    (4) Any rude comments should be alerted to the moderator immediately. I think this idea can be really good for this site, and I don't want to see people discouraged from participating, especially due to inexperience.
    (5) Move about once a day to allow others a chance to check in on the game and comment at the appropriate spot. (There is no way to insert a comment after a post).
    (6) Please remember that most games on this site do not allow public comments while the game is in progress. Although comments on this game are appreciated, do not comment on other games that are not specifically identified as wanting public comment by both players. Also, unless the players in a game ask otherwise, please comment in such a way that your comments don't become part of the play. For example, before suggesting moves from a specific position, allow a sufficient number moves to be made.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree