Maybe a small idea.

Maybe a small idea.

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lord of the Board...

My own little world.

Moves
03 Apr 03

Good Afternoon,

My apologies if this has been posted on the site before.

I have read a couple of posts on the change regarding the amount of concurrent games for non PS's, where I noticed that a split consensus exists where some indicate that it is the MAP's that cause a lot of problems, and some say that it is not.

Just as a thought, should you want to remove the MAP's off the player tables, why not implement a Most Points per Win?
Basically, each piece has an assigned points to it, and when the person wins a match, (IE, they will want to play to win), then the points of the pieces that they captured will be counted and added to their name.

If you want to flame my idea, go ahead.

Cheers

and RedHotTed

Red Hot Rebel Clan

Moves
03 Apr 03

But for a poor player to move up that table he/she would have to play LOTS of games...

Rhymester

Lord of the Board...

My own little world.

Moves
03 Apr 03

Rhymester,

A poor player would need to improve πŸ™„ - Losers will not get points.

If you lose, you do not get points. Or maybe you should?
Look, its an idea. Expand, use it, modify it.

and RedHotTed

Red Hot Rebel Clan

Moves
03 Apr 03

Originally posted by Dalamar

A poor player would need to improve πŸ™„ - Losers will not get points.

Which is also the case with the current rating system and the top players table πŸ™‚

Rhymester

Lord of the Board...

My own little world.

Moves
03 Apr 03

I see your point.
However, what if you decided that all captured pieces would be counted then? regardless of win or loss?
Now I can just see you will counter with then they will play just to take pieces, ruining the game. That is a fair statement, but I think that it can be rectified.

You get points for taking pieces, but add a bonus of 50 (just a suggestion) for winning. Losers get what they captured - 10, and winners get what they captured + 50 (just a suggestion)

How about that Idea?
πŸ™‚

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
03 Apr 03

thw "points this moth" would be a mixture table of move speed and move quality. very interesting.

long ago I had an idea which is quite close:
why not offer to each board (in "details" for example?) an evaluation of the baord by Rival? Then I can easily see whether my position has improved or not.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
03 Apr 03

Good Afternoon,

My apologies if this has been posted on the site before.

I have read a couple of posts on the change regarding the amount of concurrent games for non PS's, where I noticed that a split consensus exists where some indicate that it is the MAP's that cause a lot of problems, and some say that it is not.

Just as a thought, should you w ...[text shortened]... will be counted and added to their name.

If you want to flame my idea, go ahead.

Cheers
I am going to flame your idea. There is an aesthetic element of chess that says one wants to win in the most elegant or neat way possible. Your idea would penalize fast, neat, bloodless victories, and thumb it's nose at strategic play in favor of the bloodier, tactical aspects. Just my 2 cents.

~Mark

Lord of the Board...

My own little world.

Moves
04 Apr 03

To a certain extent yes RoyalChicken. Maybe it would be unfair on people who play for bloodless victories...
Maybe MAP's unfair on them too?
Maybe MAP's unfair on people who do not have constant access to the internet?

Look, its an idea, and you have all right to flame it. Thank you for your honest opinion. I just put it up as a suggestion for an alternative due to the whole arguement about MAP's.

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
04 Apr 03

To a certain extent yes RoyalChicken. Maybe it would be unfair on people who play for bloodless victories...

Look, its an idea, and you have all right to flame it. Thank you for your honest opinion. I just put it up as a suggestion for an alternative due to the whole arguement about MAP's.

I think a "Most Improved Player of The Month" could be good. It would be hard to "try" to get on this, but would give some recognition to the players that have made a real effort to change their game and become better. Also, if at some point someone is having a really good run they may be able to get on the board for a while, even if they don't hold out to the end. The only problem I can see with this is people trying to drag out losing games untill after the month. Not really too bad I think. πŸ˜‰

U

Steelers Country

Moves
04 Apr 03

I like your idea, just dont replace map if it gets put up, replace the posters table because it makes people spam.

and RedHotTed

Red Hot Rebel Clan

Moves
04 Apr 03

Every sort of table is going to be unfair to someone - following the same logic we definitely should'nt have a top 20 players table because it's 'unfair' to 99.9% of RHP's members who will never appear on it πŸ˜‰

Rhymester

U

Steelers Country

Moves
04 Apr 03

Originally posted by Rhymester
Every sort of table is going to be unfair to someone - following the same logic we definitely should'nt have a top 20 players table because it's 'unfair' to 99.9% of RHP's members who will never appear on it πŸ˜‰

Rhymester
Like me LOL, I'll never get thereπŸ˜€

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
04 Apr 03

I think the tables are a good thing that just gets abused. I think that it is only a VERY small percentile of the people here that abuse and we shouldn't ruin a good thing because of a few bad apples.

Lord of the Board...

My own little world.

Moves
04 Apr 03

I agree with you Omnislash.
I like the tables, I like to see the stats on how many moves and who has the top player rating. Although I will never make it onto these lists, its still a nice thing to look at. I have even found suitable challenges from these tables, which makes the whole site even more enjoyable.

I also agree that its only certain people that abuse it, but that unfortuanetly happens to be a aspect of life throughout, not just related to chess.

How about this as an expansion to the idea?
Two tables:
Players with points per game ( with the deduction for a loss and bonus for a win)
and a table with top players with "Clean" Wins?
I would love to know who wins many games through more strategy then random slaughter, maybe even challenge a few of them πŸ™‚

I will be honest, I do not even know if it is possible for these tables to be implemented, but I do consider it a fair idea.

Cheers

and RedHotTed

Red Hot Rebel Clan

Moves
04 Apr 03

Good ideas.... and maybe we should change the name of the site to RedHotTables πŸ˜‰πŸ˜΅

Rhymester

PS. I had to fight a war to get where I am today LOL