1. Standard memberAl Green
    Isle Of Chess
    Memphis,TN,USA
    Moves
    26 Feb '04 04:47
    How about this and also have moves and responses be the same numbered moves? This could mean less time on site studying moves and responses, might even mean less band width requirements.
  2. Standard memberArther
    The Turtle Hermit
    Turtle Island
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 00:33
    I've brought this idea up before, & I was told that it was on the (very long) to-do list. It would certainly be a help to have the move itself, & not just the FEN's.
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 05:03
    Just to make it more complicated, add to that making your next move via a reply e-mail. Just type the move in algerbraic notation in the body of the e-mail. ๐Ÿ˜€
  4. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 08:00
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Just to make it more complicated, add to that making your next move via a reply e-mail. Just type the move in algerbraic notation in the body of the e-mail. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Doesn't make much sense to me.
    When you can reply via email you will also have connection to the internet. So why won't you just click on the game-link which will take you to your board where you can make the move with just two clicks?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gotti
  5. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 08:21
    I don't have my browser up all the time, and I don't always have a constant connection to the Internet. The e-mail program auto-dials my ISP and sends/recieves e-mail. Quicker this way and I don't have to keep my phone line busy for more than a minute.
  6. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 08:42
    Originally posted by gotti2000
    Doesn't make much sense to me.
    When you can reply via email you will also have connection to the internet. So why won't you just click on the game-link which will take you to your board where you can make the move with just two clicks?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gotti
    Gotti,
    you are right, but it makes sense for me: this is what correspondence chess is about!! Send the moves via postcard or e-mail. (correct me if I'm wrong and what I am talking about is postcard-chess ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
    and it makes sense for me as I (now with the cool new pgn) start to send me all my last 20 games and then I analyse them offline, decide how to move and then go online and play 10 moves in a minute. If I can do this per mail, it would be even easier. But I think this is a 3-stars wish and not very important. Perhaps it would help people (like me) if the FEN was inculded in the move notification (BTW: I do not get it).
    th
  7. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 13:07
    Originally posted by thire
    Gotti,
    you are right, but it makes sense for me: this is what correspondence chess is about!! Send the moves via postcard or e-mail. (correct me if I'm wrong and what I am talking about is postcard-chess ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
    and it makes sense for me as I (now with the cool new pgn) start to send me all my last 20 games and then I analyse them offline, decide how to move a ...[text shortened]... lp people (like me) if the FEN was inculded in the move notification (BTW: I do not get it).
    th
    I've got it. Sorry I'm one of those privileged people with a monthly flatrate. ;-)
  8. Standard memberArther
    The Turtle Hermit
    Turtle Island
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 14:29
    Originally posted by Coletti
    If you are interested in that style of e-mail chess, you need to look at the International Email Chess Group (IECG at http://www.iecg.org). That is exactly how they play there.
  9. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 15:54
    Do yourself a favor. Go to IECC.

Feivel the Freethinker
  10. Candelรกria, RS
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 19:46
    Originally posted by Arther
    If you are interested in that style of e-mail chess, you need to look at the International Email Chess Group (IECG at http://www.iecg.org). That is exactly how they play there.
    Last time I look to rules of mail-chess, there are more: you can suggest an entire line of play to your opponent and, if she/he agrees on that, you save a lot of time and correspondences. Something like I playing 1. e4 and my opponent responding with 1...e5 and suggesting the line 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4. O-O d6. If I accept this line of play, I will continue the game with move 5, and 6 messages where saved, and probably 18 days (I'm supposing 3 days by move).

But I think it is a thing that will complicate the programming and administration to the people that maintain this excellent chess site.
  11. Standard memberArther
    The Turtle Hermit
    Turtle Island
    Moves
    27 Feb '04 21:42
    Actually, I wasn't suggesting that RHP go that way. I prefer the way it's done here myself (tho' algebraic notation moves in the email would be nice). But, if someone wants to try the other method (no graphics, just direct e-mail contact with your opponents in tourneys set up by IECG), it's available.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree