1. Joined
    23 Jun '14
    Moves
    24 Jun '14 19:09
    How do I set it so that it makes a noise/refreshes the page/whatever when someone makes a move in one of my games?

I have the 'My Games' page loaded.. and every once in awhile I refresh it and see someone has moved.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Jun '14 19:18
    Originally posted by AptPatzer
    How do I set it so that it makes a noise/refreshes the page/whatever when someone makes a move in one of my games?

I have the 'My Games' page loaded.. and every once in awhile I refresh it and see someone has moved.
    On the main panel of any game there are 2 boxes marked "wait this game" and "wait any game"
    I think if you use those the system checks every 5 minutes or so and displays a game when the opponent has moved
  3. Joined
    23 Jun '14
    Moves
    24 Jun '14 19:22
    So are you saying that I actually have to be *in* a specific game view to enable this? I can't be at the main page that shows all my games?
  4. Joined
    23 Jun '14
    Moves
    24 Jun '14 22:45
    Well that pretty much settles whether I'd want to pay money to play here.

I'm very disappointed by how poor the interface is here compared to chess.com and gameknot. Especially considering how long RHP has been around.

I'll pony up the dough and make the switch to RHP when they earn my money.
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '14 23:28

AptPatzer,
    If you look below your screen name for RHP while you are online, it should tell you how many games are waiting for you to move.

An example could be "3 games waiting."

Also have you set up your e-mail address to receive e-mails for when it is your turn to move?
  6. Joined
    23 Jun '14
    Moves
    25 Jun '14 05:10
    This isn't the functionality I'm looking for. The other two I mentioned make a noise. They do something to draw my attention.

As it is I can just have this tab open and the other two tabs will alert me with noise so it's ok for the time being. But far from ideal.

Also it's just very odd that the functionality almost exists, but you have to be in a specific game to access it. That is really arbitrary and therefore illogical and bad design.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Jun '14 08:431 edit
    If you haven't hidden it already, in the bottom right you will see a "bell" icon on a "dock bar".

Click that at anytime on any page to be taken to the next waiting game when it becomes available.

There is currently no alert noise - in the new UI, an optional game waiting ping will occur whenever the browser is left unattended with any RHP page open (with a bell noise too.)

edit : A release is going live next week, I'll try to work in the audio alert for that. It should exist now, as you say, and the new UI build will be sometime away still.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Jun '14 11:002 edits
    It is now in the new build, I have just added a new audio alert when using any "wait" option (from the board, or the dockbar bell.)

This can be optionally turned off from the update "Sound Setttings" page.

The new release is scheduled for early AM GMT on June 30th.
  9. Joined
    23 Jun '14
    Moves
    25 Jun '14 12:25
    That sounds great. Looking forward to it, thanks
  10. Northamptonshire, UK
    Moves
    29 Jun '14 09:03
    If you're on Android, you can download the RHP widget from Google Playstore which sends an alert to your phone when someone makes a move. I've got it and it's brilliant.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 13:05
    The "bell noise"* is now available when you hit either "waiting game" button and a game becomes available.

* Bell noise subject to change in future.
  12. In your face
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 22:441 edit
    Why don't you set email notifications to alert you when someone has moved, then you can receive a live notification through your email client?
  13. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    01 Jul '14 07:34
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Why don't you set email notifications to alert you when someone has moved, then you can receive a live notification through your email client?
    Email notifications are somewhat annoying at the very least, IMO. I hate having to clean them out of my inbox. Also annoying is that they don't tell you when a game ends (that you didn't end yourself). The sound is a good idea, I think.

When the rhp app is released (whenever that may be), I will look forward to iOS notifications. In the meantime, a good alternative to emails would be tweets. Twitter feeds are inevitably cluttered, whereas email inboxes are best kept tidy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree