1. Joined
    11 Jan '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '05 18:51
    it has been more than 3 days since this guyhas moved and i want to time him out but it wont let me. can anyone help me
  2. Serbia
    Moves
    18 Jan '05 19:281 edit
    What is the timeout period for that game? Maybe he/she has some timebank days left? (You can find explanation of timebank on this FAQ page: http://www.timeforchess.com/help/index.php?help=faq )

If both timeout and timebank periods are spent, you shoud be able to see a little, yellow skull beside the game link in question (on 'My Games' page).

edited:typo
  3. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    18 Jan '05 23:04
    What if there was a 14 day time bank that's run out , and the guy's got his vacation flag up . He hasn't moved for a long time . What's legal ? What's site ettiquette ?
  4. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    18 Jan '05 23:161 edit
    Originally posted by Moldy Crow
    What if there was a 14 day time bank that's run out , and the guy's got his vacation flag up . He hasn't moved for a long time . What's legal ? What's site ettiquette ?
    Ask yourself these questions:

Is there a reason for vacation given in the profile (and maybe a return date)?

Is he/she moving in other games whilst the flag is up?

Are you winning / losing / drawing this game? (and does the win really matter to you?)

Are you enjoying the game? - i.e. is it close, you are evenly matched and it could go either way?

It is entirely up to you if you wish to time them out or not - your answers may help you to decide what to do though.

🙂

Edit: sense
  5. Joined
    22 Nov '04
    Moves
    23 Jan '05 01:19
    Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I'm not sure how to exercise the timeout feature.

Here's what it says in the FAQ of the help section, "The timebank is a time control that is used in addition to the timeout time control. It is designed to make games quicker by allowing you to select a shorter timeout period that you may otherwise feel comfortable with."

This talks about the timebank, but no other explanation is given of time_out_. I ask because I'm playing in the 2005 championship tournament and there are two opponents who have made no moves against me either in black or white. The timebank is 60 days. Do I really have to wait that long to claim victory or have these games nullified?
  6. Internet
    Moves
    23 Jan '05 03:54
    Originally posted by Dhango
    I ask because I'm playing in the 2005 championship tournament and there are two opponents who have made no moves against me either in black or white. The timebank is 60 days. Do I really have to wait that long to claim victory or have these games nullified?
    Yes, you'll have to wait until the timebank is emptied.
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    23 Jan '05 10:45
    Originally posted by Dhango
    I'm playing in the 2005 championship tournament and there are two opponents who have made no moves against me either in black or white. The timebank is 60 days. Do I really have to wait that long to claim victory or have these games nullified?
    I think so yes.
  8. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    23 Jan '05 14:30
    A timeout is not hard to do. You can only make one when there is a little skull next to the game (on the place where the reminder icon appears as well).

Then you have to ask yourself if you want to timeout (claim win), and if you feel it's appropiate to do so.

Then if you still want to claim, click the skull 🙂
  9. Standard membershadowrose
    ShadowRose
    London
    Moves
    24 Jan '05 10:39
    I put up a game - open invite - on Jan 20th with the title "'til the Witching Hour.. can you finish b4 midnight strikes? Move timeout one day and initial timebank n/a

This game is still in progress. I sent a reminder after first timeout
    asking opponent to play or resign.

I'm now in the position that I can send another reminder or claim win.

My view is that opponent shouldn't have accepted game on terms I'd offered if they had no intention of playing the type of match offered. I couldn't have made it clearer that I was looking for a fast moving encounter.

I'm reluctant to claim a win on a technical point but I don't see why I should limp along in a game I'm not enjoying. and which is not what I offered, let alone continue to send reminders when this opponent doesn't show any courtesy or due regard.

Any views on this? Being a newbie I'm perplexed about what is acceptable.

Thanks in advance

Rose
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    24 Jan '05 10:54
    Originally posted by shadowrose
    I put up a game - open invite - on Jan 20th with the title "'til the Witching Hour.. can you finish b4 midnight strikes? Move timeout one day and initial timebank n/a

This game is still in progress. I sent a reminder after first timeout
    asking opponent to play or resign.

I'm now in the position that I can send another reminder or claim win. ...[text shortened]... s on this? Being a newbie I'm perplexed about what is acceptable.

Thanks in advance

Rose
    Personally I work like this.
    If an opponent oversteps his time and hasn't mentioned it or used the vacation flag then I send the reminder. If that doesn't work look at the game. If it's a clearly winning position I've got no qualms about claiming a win. I've had too many people stop playing once they are going to lose. If it's close or I'm losing then I give it more time. However I will claim the timeout eventually if a player just doesn't move.

Of course if someone uses their vacation flag and/or tells me that they will be taking some extra time on the next moves then they get a lot more leeway.
  11. Standard membershadowrose
    ShadowRose
    London
    Moves
    24 Jan '05 12:26
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Personally I work like this.
    If an opponent oversteps his time and hasn't mentioned it or used the vacation flag then I send the reminder. If that doesn't work look at the game. If it's a clearly winning position I've got no qualms about claiming a win. I've had too many people stop playing once they are going to lose. If it's close or I'm losing t ...[text shortened]... s me that they will be taking some extra time on the next moves then they get a lot more leeway.
    Thanks XanthosNZ,

I think what's bugging me is the idea that I remind opponent to move, he may do so and then go silent again and I remind again after next timeout and so on ad infinitum

This game that I set up as a quickie to aim to be completed in 12 hours or less could end up being the longest one I've played.

As it is, there is no contact, no explanation despite being asked if wants to play or forget it. Obviously I'd want to take circs like vacation or emergency into account but you have to know about such things to do so. (Thiough at the mo' I'm feeling less than charitable so would prolly be asking "why the feck start a 12 hour game if you are going on holiday for 2 weeks?)

I guess the decision I have to make is "one strike and out", "three strikes and out" or summat.

In the circs I'll remind again but warn that if timeout lapses a 3rd time I'll claim game without further notification.

One thing is for sure I'll be doing that in the future if I think I'm being messed around.

Thanks again for your input
  12. UK
    Moves
    24 Jan '05 12:462 edits
    This game that I set up as a quickie to aim to be completed in 12 hours or less could end up being the longest one I've played.

Remember though that there is no such thing here as a 12 hour game. The shortest agreeable time out is 1 day, so even if you say in your game title that you want a quick game or whatever then your opponent is still entiitled to take his one day each move, as of course you are entitled to time him out if he lets you, or to not play him again in future.

Really it's not worth getting worked up about though.
  13. Standard membershadowrose
    ShadowRose
    London
    Moves
    24 Jan '05 13:31
    Originally posted by mrmist
    Remember though that there is no such thing here as a 12 hour game. The shortest agreeable time out is 1 day, so even if you say in your game title that you want a quick game or whatever then your opponent is still entiitled to take his one day each move, as of course you are entitled to time him out if he lets you, or to not play him again in future.

Really it's not worth getting worked up about though.
    Thank you for the reminder. I understand the 1 day min and saw the 12 hour game as an aim rather than a absolute.

I had no problem with opponent taking 1 day, just with not bothering.

Sorry if I sound worked up, can assure you that my blood pressure isn't suffering. Am more concerned with being fair than pride but also practical.
  14. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    24 Jan '05 14:07
    Thank you for the reminder. I understand the 1 day min and saw the 12 hour game as an aim rather than a absolute.

I had no problem with opponent taking 1 day, just with not bothering.

Sorry if I sound worked up, can assure you that my blood pressure isn't suffering. Am more concerned with being fair than pride but also practical.
    It's entirely up to you. The timeout issue has been going on since the site began I suppose. Everyone has their own views and criteria for when to timeout. Just do what you think is the right thing.
  15. Joined
    05 Dec '04
    Moves
    06 Feb '05 13:34
    what if you've followed proceedure and the page changes with the word SUSPENDED on it?No vacation, nada ,and i've tried to claim victory with this opponent the same way as the other 2 or 3 ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree