1. Joined
    27 May '15
    Moves
    62647
    18 Jan '17 20:20
    I am playing someone who is supposed to be on vacation - has no timebank left and is making moves - doesn't seem right ??
  2. Northamptonshire, UK
    Joined
    08 Dec '10
    Moves
    100210
    18 Jan '17 22:19
    Subscriber benefit (or privilege) I'm afraid and nothing in the rules to stop a player from doing it. I do it regularly, typically on a day (or days) when I think I may be unable to move but can, or when using up unused holiday for the last week or so of the year.

    How about subscribing?
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    316726
    19 Jan '17 01:412 edits
    The "vacation" system, which really should be called the "timeout protection" system because that's all it does, isn't perfect, but it's all we have. I always figure that making moves while I'm on "vacation" is a good thing for my opponents, because it means less waiting time for them.

    But having said that, using it in a 21-day tournament game to take advantage of an opponent is unsportsmanlike and not in the spirit of the game. We have repeatedly requested that vacation privileges should be excluded from these specific tournaments, but so far it doesn't seem to have been a priority. You could consider raising the matter yet again in the Site Ideas forum.
  4. Joined
    27 May '15
    Moves
    62647
    19 Jan '17 09:25
    Originally posted by FlyingWolf
    Subscriber benefit (or privilege) I'm afraid and nothing in the rules to stop a player from doing it. I do it regularly, typically on a day (or days) when I think I may be unable to move but can, or when using up unused holiday for the last week or so of the year.

    How about subscribing?
    Thanks I already subscribe, i wasn't wanting to do the same - just thought it was unsportsmanlike in a 21 day tournament and to be on a long vacation
  5. Joined
    27 May '15
    Moves
    62647
    19 Jan '17 09:26
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    The "vacation" system, which really should be called the "timeout protection" system because that's all it does, isn't perfect, but it's all we have. I always figure that making moves while I'm on "vacation" is a good thing for my opponents, because it means less waiting time for them.

    But having said that, using it in a 21-day tournament game to take adv ...[text shortened]... have been a priority. You could consider raising the matter yet again in the Site Ideas forum.
    Thanks for the reply - it is a 21 day tournament and a long vacation - i might do that
  6. Northamptonshire, UK
    Joined
    08 Dec '10
    Moves
    100210
    19 Jan '17 12:43
    Originally posted by Terryh7
    Thanks for the reply - it is a 21 day tournament and a long vacation - i might do that
    Hadn't realised that as I don't do clans, tournaments or anything like that - just straightforward games. I can perhaps see your point now.
  7. Donationmwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Joined
    25 Feb '01
    Moves
    56682
    19 Jan '17 16:331 edit
    When you say it's a 21 day tournament, I assume you mean the 'hardcore' tournaments that have zero days of timeout period and 21 days of time bank.

    Time controls were meant to establish a set amount of time to complete a game or keep it moving, and it adds an element of 'pressure' to both players. Using the vacation feature removes the time pressure from the equation for the player who uses it, while the player who does not use it still has time pressure influencing their game. Removing the vacation feature levels the playing field as far as time pressure goes.

    Regular "non-tournament" games always have a certain amount of 'time out' period to make a move and there are no 'time bank only' type of regular games, so dealing with someone who is using the vacation option does not present any serious problem in regular games, at least as far as I know. You just pay attention to all of your games and move when it's your turn.

    When the vacation option was first introduced here it was not allowed to be used in any tournament games. At least I'm pretty sure that was the case then, and I don't know why or when that changed and the vacation feature was allowed.

    I agree that the vacation feature should not be allowed at all during tournaments. If nothing else, at least ignore it during any "time bank only" tournaments.

    I don't play tournaments but that's my opinion for whatever it's worth.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    316726
    19 Jan '17 23:26
    When it comes to the "hardcore" tournaments, use of the vacation flag guarantees the user an extra 36 days protection from timeout, but the poor opponent is constantly having to fight against a timeclock. A bit of timezone manipulation, so that when he moves the opponent is asleep, and the flag-user is practically guaranteed a win after a certain number of moves. This is a loophole which really really needs to be closed.
  9. Donationmwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Joined
    25 Feb '01
    Moves
    56682
    20 Jan '17 13:25
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    When it comes to the "hardcore" tournaments, use of the vacation flag guarantees the user an extra 36 days protection from timeout, but the poor opponent is constantly having to fight against a timeclock. A bit of timezone manipulation, so that when he moves the opponent is asleep, and the flag-user is practically guaranteed a win after a certain number of moves. This is a loophole which [b]really really needs to be closed.[/b]
    I totally agree.

    I probably should have worded my statement a little better. When I said " If nothing else, at least ignore it during any "time bank only" tournaments." I wasn't suggesting that the player should ignore it. I was instead trying to suggest that the site software should be modified to ignore the use of the vacation option, or in other words not allow it to be used.
Back to Top