Navigation

SubscriberRuss
Help 13 Jul '03 14:00
  1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Jul '03 14:00
    I’m after information on how everyone navigates around the site.

I want to make some mods to the top section of the screen (above the red bar), which may result in the loss of the links that live below the ad (or where the ad was displayed, if you a subscriber.)

Can everyone who feels like having any input on this post here to tell me how they get about on RHP. Are those links important to you? When do you click them? (e.g. Only on the board view when the 'hot icons' are not available?)

I use the drop down menus for nearly everything now, and hardly ever even click on the 'hot icons'. The hot icons will not be removed, but I think a little redesign might be required after all this time.

So, anyway, let me know your thoughts on this, and I will try my best to keep everyone happy.

-Russ

[And don’t worry, I’m not just changing things for the sake of it – I’m just taking the opportunity now to get everything as I want it. Then I will leave it all alone. Constantly changing an interface helps no one.]
  2. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    13 Jul '03 14:21
    I always use the icons just below the red bar.Never ever used the ones above it.
    But maybe that's just me being weird againπŸ™„πŸ™„
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    13 Jul '03 14:25
    Yes, I think you do have several redundent links up there, some with just text, others with icons, others on the bar, and all going to the same page. (For example, there are three different links to 'new game', two going to 'open invites', etc.)

I usually use the icon links below the bar, but they take up more space. I use a laptop with a small monitor and they're easier to hit with my mouse pointer... πŸ™„

It would probably be much better if you put all the links in one standard format and location, and clear out all the rest.

just my opinion,
    Marc
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    13 Jul '03 14:361 edit
    I always use the big icons - apart from "help" where I seem to remember I used the blue link - However I don't know why and I don't feel particularly attached to that help link.

As long as "feeback" would be put somewhere else the plan lie sounds like a goer to me. πŸ™‚
  5. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    13 Jul '03 15:00
    The menus are spectacular-I use them almost to exclusion. however, the icons have cool pictures, so they should remain. I don't use the links above the red bar.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    13 Jul '03 15:16
    You can safely chuck the top menu.
    I only use your javascript menu and sometimes the 'My Games' link below it.
  7. Standard memberCFC
    Zak the mad boy
    Stamford Bridge
    Moves
    13 Jul '03 18:41
    I normally use the red bar unless it's for player tables. Can we have a link to player tables from red bar please?
  8. Amsterdam
    Moves
    13 Jul '03 20:58
    I usually use both, but I've never used the links above the Red Bar...they don't look to great I think...πŸ™‚

For the Forums I always use the Bar because then you can link to the forum you want. The player tables should be in the Community link I think...

For the clans and tournaments I use the Hot Icons, I don't know, they look so cool!πŸ˜€

For all the other links that I didn't mention I usually use the Hot Icons, but not when I can get to the place I want faster with the Bar!

I think you should let the Bar and the Icons intact, but remove the links above the bar, good luck with it Russ, you're the best!

Olav
  9. London
    Moves
    14 Jul '03 11:57
    Seconding what everyone else seems to be saying, I use the icons where I can, the drop-downs otherwise and the above-the-red-bar links almost never.

My 0.02 of your favourite currency: I think everything should be available via the drop-downs while the features of the site that you most want new users to explore should have icons. Of the existing icons, I'd definitely want My Games and Help to stay but New Game and Open Invites could be links from My Games if you wanted room for icons such as Forums.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    14 Jul '03 15:49
    Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Russ
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Jul '03 19:29
    Originally posted by Russ
    Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Russ
    Just one thing I didn't see anyone mention is a

Welcome "User Name" at top of every page. Click that to see your own stats. Sometimes I see other people's stats on a page when I click the name, and if I want to compare mine I need to go find one of my posts or find one of my games to find my little stats page.

No big deal... just a thought.
    😡
  12. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    14 Jul '03 19:46
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Just one thing I didn't see anyone mention is a

Welcome "User Name" at top of every page. Click that to see your own stats. Sometimes I see other people's stats on a page when I click the name, and if I want to compare mine I need to go find one of my posts or find one of my games to find my little stats page.

No big deal... just a thought.
    😡
    Click 'my home' on the bar at the top of the page. Your stats are right there.

Marc
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Jul '03 20:27
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Click 'my home' on the bar at the top of the page. Your stats are right there.

Marc
    That is some of the info, but doesn't show number of rated games, number of moves.... Games in progress..... etc.

14. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    14 Jul '03 21:01
    You can ditch the top one, but I use both of the others, but generally prefer the pull down menu. πŸ˜€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree