1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 19:32
    Time for a new site feature (in time for Xmas πŸ™‚ ), but as always, I could do with some volunteers to get things going.

The new feature is quite simple, but it could be fun.

I have called it 'siege' – what it amounts to is a very simple winners stays on affair.

A 'castle' must be defended by winning as black. (A draw will be considered a failed defence of the siege)

A queue of challengers will develop, and a winning player must play each person in the queue until they lose.

Either the winning player or the next player in the queue can start the next game following the end of the previous siege game.

So, basically it is all about trying to achieve 'winning streaks' (which I hope to show stats for) – and bragging rights, particularly if you manage to defend multiple castles at once.

There will be 4 castles (red, green, yellow and blue) for 1,3,7 and 14 time outs. So that is a total of 16 games running at one time. (I can increase this if this feature turns out to be popular).

So what I need is two volunteers to 'seed' each siege. (Your colour will be chosen at random by me.) I guess the best way to do this is to post below. Please state which timeout period suits you. When I have the full 32 people, I will upload the code, and start the games.

As always, please do not sign up for the one day timeout games unless you play very frequently.

Thanks in advance.

-Russ
  2. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 19:53
    Sounds like fun!

I'm a bit confused about the game numbers though - there are four castles, and if I understood correctly, the defense of the castle is done one game at a time. So that to me would seem to imply that there'll be four games going on at any given time - one game each castle, "the king of the castle" against a challenger.

But 16 games running at once? I think I must have misunderstood the mechanics here.... πŸ˜•

I'm eager to join, but what I would like to know is how many games does each individual participant play at maximum at each given time? The first part of the message seems to imply that the answer is one, but then I don't know where the 16 would come from. πŸ™„

-Jarno
  3. Amsterdam
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 19:551 edit
    Don't really get it, but it sounds really great, you can put me on the list, Russ, 14 day TO please. πŸ™‚

Olav

EDIT: I get it now, after re-re-re-re-re-reading your post, sounds even more fun!
  4. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 19:58
    Aah! Now I think I figured it out - since it's a "siege", the castle is attacked from four sides, thus making it four games for the "king of the castle" at any given time? So there'll actually be four qeues lining up on "all sides"? Then the 16 would make sense.

Did I get that right?

If I did, then count me in. πŸ™‚ 7 day timeout would be best for me.

-Jarno
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 20:091 edit
    Originally posted by Pyrrho
    Sounds like fun!

I'm a bit confused about the game numbers though - there are four castles, and if I understood correctly, the defense of the castle is done one game at a time. So that to me would seem to imply that there'll be four ga ...[text shortened]... but then I don't know where the 16 would come from. πŸ™„

-Jarno
    Sorry, as always, this stuff is clear in my head, but when in writing, that is another thing altogether (Luckily my computer understands me... πŸ˜‰ )

Anyway, let me try to clarify :

One siege game per person. (One castle = one game. Think one table or one board.)

Each castle has a queue of challengers.

But, someone can join multiple queues, and try to defend all the castles, if they like, by getting to the front of the queues and then winning.

The colours of the castles are only used to differentiate between the games with the same timeout period – they are not in fact related in any other way.

-Russ
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 20:10
    Originally posted by Pyrrho
    Aah! Now I think I figured it out - since it's a "siege", the castle is attacked from four sides, thus making it four games for the "king of the castle" at any given time? So there'll actually be four qeues lining up on "all sides"? Then the 16 would make sense.

Did I get that right?

If I did, then count me in. πŸ™‚ 7 day timeout would be best for me.

-Jarno
    Sorry, no, it is far simpler than that.

Just one queue per castle.

-Russ
  7. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 20:11
    Russ, can I do a 3-day one?
  8. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 20:22
    Thanks for the clarification Russ - I'll gladly be a 7-day guinea pig! πŸ˜€

-Jarno
  9. Florida
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 20:23
    I'll try a seven day one! πŸ™‚

Doug
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 20:28
    BTW : I'm after subscribers only please!

Thanks,

-Russ
  11. Standard memberstammer
    just another webgeek
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 22:45
    Originally posted by Russ
    BTW : I'm after subscribers only please!

Thanks,

-Russ
    I volunteer for 7 & 14 day TO.

See PM for your qualification part.....
  12. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 23:33
    I volunteer for a 7-day castle.
    Rich
  13. Standard memberkingofthe303
    Wormtongue
    Edoras
    Moves
    03 Dec '03 23:48
    Russ

I'm up for the 3 and 7 day castles.

K303πŸ˜‰
  14. Donationmmanuel
    popping in...
    Durham, UK
    Moves
    04 Dec '03 11:22
    I'll have a go at the 7-day timeout thingy!
  15. Perth West Australia
    Moves
    04 Dec '03 11:32
    count me in for a 7, 14, and 21 game i will try anythingπŸ˜€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree