1. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    24 Jun '03 08:12
    This is not serious, but I thought of it as a little 'fun' idea.

At each board position possible, there can be generated a checksum that uniquely defines it (including flags for king has moved and so on).

Thus every RHP game can be defined at every move.

Now imagine that for evey move, a database (RHP and/or other) is consulted to determine whether the current board position is 'unique' or not.

Cool eh?

Or possibly disturbing if we were to discover that we were just continually reinventing the wheel and no move was ever unique...

On the same idea, there could be 'special' public games that were unique that were brought to everyone's attention, though that might encourage utterly mad moves. But why not?
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Jun '03 17:13
    Originally posted by Toe
    This is not serious, but I thought of it as a little 'fun' idea.

At each board position possible, there can be generated a checksum that uniquely defines it (including flags for king has moved and so on).

Thus every RHP game can be defined at every move.

Now imagine that for evey move, a database (RHP and/or other) is consulted to determine whether ...[text shortened]... re brought to everyone's attention, though that might encourage utterly mad moves. But why not?
    Part of it is already done. Each game has a FEN position for every move...

Fen : 1rr3k1/1pp2pbp/p2qp1p1/1P1n4/3P4/P2RBQ2/1P2BPPP/2R3K1 w - - 0 22

You can find these from the game details page of any "current" game.

Now we just need one of the code monkeys to get some time to sort through them all. At home I have a data-base of perhaps 100,000 games, and find I am out of the base after about 5 or so moves... so i am sure there will be many unique positions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree