1. A dark cave
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 11:07
    I've discovered a player I suspect has 2 usernames and is using one to boost the others' score. The names are xxxxx2 and xxxxx3 (not real names), and all '2' has done is play '3' and lost. It looks pretty suspect to me. I've informed site Admin and the names live on. I'm not sure whether to name and give the user(s) the opportunity to answer? I'm not really one for witch hunts, but I hate to see cheating too on such a good website. What does anyone think? Name and shame or just let it go?
  2. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 11:42
    Originally posted by GarethNicholls
    I've discovered a player I suspect has 2 usernames and is using one to boost the others' score. The names are xxxxx2 and xxxxx3 (not real names), and all '2' has done is play '3' and lost. It looks pretty suspect to me. I've informed site Admin and the names live on. I'm not sure whether to name and give the user(s) the opportunity to answer? I'm not ...[text shortened]... g too on such a good website. What does anyone think? Name and shame or just let it go?
    Name and shame!

We haven't had a good lynching in a while and the mob's pitchforks are going a bit blunt.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 11:59
    I've discovered a player I suspect has 2 usernames and is using one to boost the others' score. The names are xxxxx2 and xxxxx3 (not real names), and all '2' has done is play '3' and lost. It looks pretty suspect to me. I've informed site Admin and the names live on. I'm not sure whether to name and give the user(s) the opportunity to answer? I'm not ...[text shortened]... g too on such a good website. What does anyone think? Name and shame or just let it go?
    Send Feedback (bottom of every page)

P-
  4. A dark cave
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 13:00
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Send Feedback (bottom of every page)

P-
    As it says above - I've already sent feedback. For whatever reason nothing has been done yet. Maybe Admin can't prove it's the same person? That must be difficult if you use 2 different email addresses, which would be quite easy to do.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Jun '07 13:23
    As it says above - I've already sent feedback. For whatever reason nothing has been done yet. Maybe Admin can't prove it's the same person? That must be difficult if you use 2 different email addresses, which would be quite easy to do.
    They would have to use 2 different emails, but there are other ways to tell.

Also, feedback takes some time to answer sometimes. A week in some instances.

P-
  6. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jun '07 08:50
    I've come across obvious cheaters too, but I don't see any way of stopping them - and I suspect there are a lot more than we realise. Anything offered for free, without proof of ID, is always going to be abused. Some websites allow only paying members to post to the forums, others have read-only access. That could get rid of some of the forum spammers too.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '07 17:081 edit
    I was looking at xxxxx2s* games and he always beats xxxxx3*, he's played him 29* times at least - you would think xxxxx3 would have learnt not to play xxxxx2 so often. 😕
    *change names and numbers to suit*
  8. A dark cave
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 15:28
    I've been reliably informed by Admin that this is not a cheat. You have to trust them that they know what they are doing.
  9. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 23:15
    I've been reliably informed by Admin that this is not a cheat. You have to trust them that they know what they are doing.
    If their rankings are vastly different, there's a good chance that one of them is simply tutoring the other one, playing a game and analyzing the game afterward.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 23:541 edit
    Originally posted by joneschr
    If their rankings are vastly different, there's a good chance that one of them is simply tutoring the other one, playing a game and analyzing the game afterward.
    This problem was already resolved, they were 2 players with VERY similar names was the big 'eye soar'. They joined years apart, and the admins are confident they are not the same person so we'll just need to trust their judgment.

One is provisional, one is rated a couple hundred points higher. Not sure they even know each other. They have played 4 games and one of them won all 4 so far... they have a 5th game, and 'the underdog' seems to be ahead. With luck, they'll pull a win out.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree