Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Standard member stammer
    just another webgeek
    22 Apr '04 06:49
    Not sure if there is one, so I figured I'd start one.

    Russ, just offering feedback as a veteran of live online chess (spent most of my chess life playing it on playsite.com, in fact it was where I went all the time before I ran into this site.)

    Here are my thoughts having played last night:

    Is there going to be a rematch button? This is often the best form for me - I tend to play players in series. A rematch button should theoretically swap the positions on the board.

    Since we've got the game history in there, any chance of downloading the PGN?

    Quickest time being 15 minutes per side - I usually play 10 min games, possibly 5. I've been on boards that play as low as 2 min but I never could figure out how you could have a legitimate game with that short a time frame. Wouldn't mind as low as 10 min. Very minor point.

    Despite stating that I'll play white, I start black. When I said to start black, I started black. <shrug>

    No draw button. This would have saved me from an eventual loss to foil

    My time kept going after getting mated in said game. Obviously doesn't impact anything but I did find it humorous.

    And will we eventually have ratings there as well?

    Muchos gracias for all your work, Russ.
  2. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Apr '04 08:34 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by stammer
    Not sure if there is one, so I figured I'd start one.

    Russ, just offering feedback as a veteran of live online chess (spent most of my chess life playing it on playsite.com, in fact it was where I went all the time before I ran into thi ...[text shortened]... ratings there as well?

    Muchos gracias for all your work, Russ.
    Thanks for your comments. Some interesting stuff there. I do have some more work to do (but I'm not doing too much at the moment, I just want to get it stable, because I have too many jobs to do here first).

    I am hopefully going to put up a new version today which will fix a few glitches - the kind of stuff that always appears on a first release.

    -Russ

    EDIT: Ratings will appear in the future, once I figure out how best to implement them.
  3. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    22 Apr '04 09:50
    Originally posted by Russ
    EDIT: Ratings will appear in the future, once I figure out how best to implement them.
    so ratings do NOT exsitst right now or do we just don't see them? (can I loose any game?)
    th
  4. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    22 Apr '04 09:54
    I am (here at university) using Opera 7.23 under Linux.
    i can log in and get the yellow frame, but it's empty.
    th
  5. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Apr '04 10:07 / 2 edits
    Try to install the latest and greatest Flash player available for Opera.

    I really can't guarantee which platforms will work, but Macromedia appear to support most. (It must be v7 or above)

    There are no rating calculations at all. Lose all you like.

    -Russ
  6. Standard member The Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    22 Apr '04 10:49
    As I am playing at Uni, I have MASSIVE (they really are massive) firewall settings ... I've signed up but somehow could not see a single person online (maybe it's that damn firewall) Do you have to download anything for it ??

    Will give propper feedback in a bit, once I'm off Uni and have 'normal' internet at home (can't wait)

    Boris
  7. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Apr '04 11:47
    Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
    As I am playing at Uni, I have MASSIVE (they really are massive) firewall settings ... I've signed up but somehow could not see a single person online (maybe it's that damn firewall) Do you have to download anything for it ??

    Will give propper feedback in a bit, once I'm off Uni and have 'normal' internet at home (can't wait)

    Boris
    Could you see yourself? If so, everything worked ok.

    People may have been present, but busy playing a game, or not there at all, I can’t say for sure.

    I think I have worked out the way to show the total connected users, so it will feel a little less lonely in future.

    -Russ
  8. 22 Apr '04 13:25
    I played my first game last night. I managed to get a pawn to the 8th rank, but could not under-promote. I automatically received a queen.

    -Ray.
  9. Standard member Exy
    Damn fine Clan!
    22 Apr '04 13:26
    Would it be possible to have a UChess forum to handle all things UChess including any problems and people posting to arrange live games.

    A place for everything and everything in it's place and all that!
  10. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Apr '04 13:43
    Originally posted by Exy
    Would it be possible to have a UChess forum to handle all things UChess including any problems and people posting to arrange live games.

    A place for everything and everything in it's place and all that!
    I agree. That is why there are forums on uChess.

    So, yes, I will close this thread now, and I suggest uChess discussion moves over there from now on.

    -Russ