Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. 05 Mar '03 10:41
    How do I change my status to on holiday?
  2. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    05 Mar '03 10:52
    Click 'my home', then at the bottom of the menu click 'vacation', then click the box and click 'update'.

3. 05 Mar '03 11:35
    Thanks for your helpπŸ™‚
  4. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    05 Mar '03 11:40
    Originally posted by meh9
    Thanks for your helpπŸ™‚
    One other point. Using this feature does not prevent someone from claiming a time-out victory. It only adds an icon by your username as a means to let others know you are on holiday/vacation.

At least that is my understanding of it.

regards, Marc
  5. 06 Mar '03 05:06
    Might I suggest that when you enable the "on vacation" symbol that there is the (obligitory) field to indicate your return date.
  6. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    06 Mar '03 12:17
    Originally posted by MartinS
    Might I suggest that when you enable the "on vacation" symbol that there is the (obligitory) field to indicate your return date.
    Why not limit the vacation to 3 weeks a year? and when you're on vacation you can't be timed out?
    good idea? bad idea?
  7. 06 Mar '03 12:27
    I would say more like 6 weeks a year, 3 weeks isnt that much cause someone can only take 3 one week vacations or one 3 week vac,
    or maby I'm just saying that cause this summer I'm going to camp for 3 weeks and probly to florida for a week
  8. Standard member godzillion
    (dandan)
    07 Mar '03 03:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by thire
    Why not limit the vacation to 3 weeks a year?
    Three weeks paid vacation, and time off in lieu of pay for 150 % of active overtime hours. Note that paid sick days may only be granted with a note from a licensed physician, and unused vacation time does NOT roll over into the following year. πŸ™‚
  9. Donation Dr. Brain
    Wizard of Darkness
    07 Mar '03 14:04
    Why not limit the vacation to 3 weeks a year? and when you're on vacation you can't be timed out?
    good idea? bad idea?
    I really like this idea.Russ,Chris?
  10. Donation ChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    07 Mar '03 15:23
    good idea? bad idea?
    I don't think Russ and Chris have a Human Resource Department to track the number of days you've been on vacation. Plus, do you have to get your vacation 'approved' in order to take it? πŸ˜‰

Seriously though, there shouldn't be any 'limits' placed on how long you can be on vacation and there shouldn't be a prohibition on taking a T/O vs. someone on vacation. It complicates things too much and may allow abuses of the system. i.e. People have been claiming about someone in a totally lost position dragging the game out. If the game has a T/O setting of 7 days that's one thing but what if they decide to set their status to vacation? Then you would have to wait 3 weeks before closing the game because even though they went past 7 days, you are prohibited in taking a T/O.

I think what they have is the best solution. If someone takes a T/O against you don't play them again. You also can send them an e-mail with the wonderful new e-mail system to let them know when you are to return.

Just my humble opinion on the matter. πŸ™‚

Russ and Chris... keep up the great work!!! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Bryan
  11. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    07 Mar '03 17:34
    Originally posted by ChessNut
    I don't think Russ and Chris have a Human Resource Department to track the number of days you've been on vacation. Plus, do you have to get your vacation 'approved' in order to take it? πŸ˜‰

Seriously though, there shouldn't be any 'limits' placed on how long you can be on vacation and there shouldn't be a prohibition on taking a T/O vs. someone ...[text shortened]... humble opinion on the matter. πŸ™‚

Russ and Chris... keep up the great work!!! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Bryan
    just my little opinion:
    I like it πŸ˜‰

I don't think that this would be too much work or too difficult (ther is nothing too dificult for Russ 😡 ).
    And vacation status could also be called "out of timeout-status". That's it what is is.

And I'd play again someone who timed me out again: He had the right to do so and he used it. There is nothinmg wrong with that. It's the rules... If I don't want to be timed out, there are three ways to avoid this:
    a) don't play correspondence chess
    b) just take games with high enough timeouts
    c) move fast
    If I'm timed out I broke all these three rules 😳

okay, now about the CON's:
    the site should stay simple. and all this adding-super-new-easy feature makes it more complicated and turns away from the big succes: CHESS. And timeoutvacationperiods have nothing to do with chess.

It would be nice to impove the existing feature "timeoutvacation" but I think this is not very important.
    So far my opinion...
    th
  12. Donation ChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    07 Mar '03 18:02
    And I'd play again someone who timed me out again: He had the right to do so and he used it. There is nothinmg wrong with that. It's the rules...
    Maybe there is confusion about what I was saying. I'm saying that it is not right for someone to take a T/O when you have your status on 'vacation' and if they don't have the common courtesy to respect that, then you can excercise your right to not play them again.

T/O in normal play is fine by me. I do it as well. I just respect the player that is nice enough to tell me he is on 'vacation' and I'll let the game go as long as it takes before they move again.

I DON'T think that by setting your status to 'vacation' should make you immune to a T/O. This would allow people to drag out games by setting their status to 'vacation'. I disagree completely with this type of function.

I hope this will clarify what I was trying to state. πŸ™„

Bryan
  13. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    07 Mar '03 19:14
    I hope this will clarify what I was trying to state. πŸ™„
    Bryan
    okay, Bryan...
    I think you were always clear enught, but I read faster then I understand and this is a big big mistake! πŸ™

you are absolutly right, but I think when Russ limits the "vactactions" to 4 weeks a year, people can drag out your victory (or T/O) - but just for 4 weeks!
  14. Donation ChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    07 Mar '03 19:32
    but I think when Russ limits the "vactactions" to 4 weeks a year, people can drag out your victory (or T/O) - but just for 4 weeks!
    I guess we don't agree then because if you agree with me then there is no reason for a 'limit' on the vacation as you would not be immune to a T/O.

If someone wanted to try to 'drag' out a game for the sole reason of making you mad, and you knew they were still around, you would have the option to take the T/O and walk away even if they 'say' their on vacation.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying? πŸ˜•
  15. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    07 Mar '03 19:44
    Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying? πŸ˜•
    perhaps it is not as easy as I thought... πŸ™„

What do you think of prohibiting moving for people "on vacation".
    or perhaps it's too complicated then... πŸ˜•
    th