1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    01 Jan '03 14:48
    Here is something that should be useful for everyone.

When viewing a specific game, add a button that would switch the gameboard view, from your perspective to that of your opponent.

Make it a 'hold' button, so that when you release it, the view would revert back to your usual view with your color at the bottom of the board.

Sound good?

regards, Marc
  2. Joined
    19 Aug '02
    Moves
    02 Jan '03 08:00
    I like the idea.

mike
  3. Joined
    16 Jul '02
    Moves
    02 Jan '03 11:09
    Sounds good, but I wouldn't make it a 'hold' button. I think that might become an annoyance unless you just want a quick glance from the other side of the board.

David
  4. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    02 Jan '03 12:31
    Not having played any real live OTB chess in proper tournaments etc. I'd be interested to know if it's possible to walk round to your opponent's side of the board, or to spin it round?

Rhymester
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    02 Jan '03 12:41
    Originally posted by Rhymester
    Not having played any real live OTB chess in proper tournaments etc. I'd be interested to know if it's possible to walk round to your opponent's side of the board, or to spin it round?

Rhymester
    I haven't played in OTB tournaments either, but I suspect flipping the board around would get you into serious trouble!!! On the other hand, getting up and walking around to the other side of the table should probably be OK.

Maybe some OTB players can enlighten us on this subject???

regards, Marc
  6. Phoenix
    Moves
    02 Jan '03 18:22
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I haven't played in OTB tournaments either, but I suspect flipping the board around would get you into serious trouble!!! On the other hand, getting up and walking around to the other side of the table should probably be OK.

Maybe some OTB players can enlighten us on this subject???

regards, Marc
    I have only played in about a half dozen OTB tournaments, but it is perfectly fine to walk around and view the board from your opponent's perspective. I did it, and many other players did the same.
  7. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    02 Jan '03 18:59
    Originally posted by Monicker
    I have only played in about a half dozen OTB tournaments, but it is perfectly fine to walk around and view the board from your opponent's perspective. I did it, and many other players did the same.
    Many players don't like people standing behind them to look at the position, especially their opponent!

The best way to see things from the other side is to take a stroll around the room for a few minutes, and casually glance at the board as you creep past your opponent to sit down.

Even then, there's a good chance that you will be met with hostile stares, often lasting for the duration of the game.

DON'T whatever you do stand behind an opponent when you're winning. This is a serious breach of etiquette, on a par with smirking and is almost as bad as outright laughing.

😉😀😉

Dave
  8. Phoenix
    Moves
    02 Jan '03 19:05
    I never stood directly behind my opponent. As long as you keep some distance most players don't mind at all. I have never gotten hostile glares, or had anyone complain when I view the board from the other side.
  9. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    02 Jan '03 19:37
    Originally posted by Monicker
    I never stood directly behind my opponent. As long as you keep some distance most players don't mind at all. I have never gotten hostile glares, or had anyone complain when I view the board from the other side.
    As you say, as long as you keep your distance most players don't mind. But I've encountered quite a few characters who do mind.

It's especially likely to happen if someone's under pressure, either from the position or because of time trouble - then it doesn't take much to disturb their concentration.

Maybe it's just me. I've played in hundreds of OTB tournaments and league games and so it shouldn't be surprising that I should encounter the occasional hostility.

😕:'(🙁

Dave
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    02 Jan '03 20:021 edit
    Dave, you know when you go round the other side of the board...yeah?...well, erm, do you pull faces, say something but try and disguise it as a cough and/or imitate being a gorilla and other jungle based animals behind the player's back when they are thinking about their move?

Hey, I dunno, but this may be where you're going wrong.

Mark

😉
  11. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    02 Jan '03 22:521 edit
    LOL

😀😀

Yeah, but what's wrong with that?
    Gary Kasparov does those things at the board!

😉

Dave
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    02 Jan '03 23:242 edits
    Garry Kasparov is good enough to get away with it! 😀

Mark

PS. I meant, of course, that his gorilla impersonation was good enough, although I hear he is actually fairly useful at chess too.

😉

PPS. Apologies to Mr. Miller. Kasparov and gorillas wasn't really the point you were trying to make I don't think. The board switchey thing is a good idea.
  13. Standard memberpaulisfree2b
    Ascending
    Johannesburg
    Moves
    03 Jan '03 08:48
    All is fair in love and war.

In chess, especially OTB chess, one should use any tactics that will help one win.

Chess psychology comes into it, like buying your oppnent a drink, or wearing a cap, and avoiding eye contact the whole game, or pretending to be nervous, and then offering a draw in the hope that they will take the bait, and decline the draw and then fallm into your trap which requires them to ne confident! haha...

I have won games before on such mental manouvering which occurs off the chess board but can win the game for you!

So, stand behind the person you are playing if you wish, or just to see if it bothers them when their time pressure is on!!

Be ruthless, lest you are killed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree