1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 09:20
    I just had a really frustrating experience. I created an open invite game and asked that it be accepted by a player with a rating 1700 or higher. I wanted to play a Najdorf against a strong opponent. Then some fellow named 'flavius' kept accepting the invite, even though a asked him repeatedly to leave the invite alone and respect the minimun rating I had specified. I'm not sure if he was aware that I was messaging him, or if he was just being dense. Whatever the case, the problem could have been avoided if we implemented a filter of some sort on the open invites so that players not meeting the minimum specifications could not accept them. We already have this for challenges, would this be more difficult.

Great job, as always.
    Thanks.

Bennett
  2. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 10:40
    If your criteria is that specific and you are looking for a player over 1700 then the open invite route isn't realy the way to go. Put a request in the Chess Only forum - that's where you'll most likely find your opponent :-)

I was the first person to suggest a challenge filter (many moons ago) and I'm grateful for the one we have for normal challenges. Perhaps adding one to the open invites might me one step too far... they wouldn't really be 'open' invites anymore. Putting a guideline rating for your opponent in the game name field works well enough most of the time.

Rhymester
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 10:48
    Originally posted by Rhymester
    If your criteria is that specific and you are looking for a player over 1700 then the open invite route isn't realy the way to go. Put a request in the Chess Only forum - that's where you'll most likely find your opponent :-)

I was the first person to suggest a challenge filter (many moons ago) and I'm grateful for the one we have for normal challen ...[text shortened]... rating for your opponent in the game name field works well enough most of the time.

Rhymester
    Well it didn't work at all this time, I had three different players accept the invite even when I had written down the specification in the game name field. The good thing about the open invites is that there is the opportunity to play people who rarely if ever check the forums. I was hoping for an opportunity to play someone I had never played before or rarely played. I feel uncomfortable challenging someone and asking them to play to a set position. This really is a small matter, and not urgent. But if it is quickly fised then I don't see the damage it could cause. I know many people would create more open invites if they could filter out the undesirables (the non-starred, no profile, 1200 rated newbie for instance).
  4. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 10:52
    Perhaps there could be a separate 'Fixed Opening' invite feature available to Pawn Stars only? Something for the future perhaps...

Rhymester
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 11:06
    Perhaps there could be a separate 'Fixed Opening' invite feature available to Pawn Stars only? Something for the future perhaps...

Rhymester
    That would be perfect.
  6. Standard memberSchliemann
    The Diplomat
    Slightly Left :D
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 11:10
    Originally posted by bbarr
    That would be perfect.
    Good idea.

Hey Bob...you want to try a Najdorf out on me?

It's one of my pet lines.

Dave
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 11:181 edit
    Originally posted by Schliemann
    Good idea.

Hey Bob...you want to try a Najdorf out on me?

It's one of my pet lines.

Dave
    Right on, I'll send one over.

Actually, you're at your limit. I'll lower my shields if you'll send one over.
  8. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 11:28
    My rates for introduction are very reasonable and I take American Express 😉 Enjoy your game fellers.. perhaps you could post up the game number so that we can see what this position is all about.

Rhymester
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 12:05
    [ I know many people would create more open invites if they could filter out the undesirables (the non-starred, no profile, 1200 rated newbie for instance).[/b]
    A rather poor choice of a 'label' for people who are new to this site, in my opinion.

regards, Marc
  10. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 16:38
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    A rather poor choice of a 'label' for people who are new to this site, in my opinion.

regards, Marc
    Yes - even us old timers were like that once...
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 16:41
    Yes - even us old timers were like that once...
    You're both right, of course. I apologize. But those whipper-snappers ought to learn to respect their elders, respond when someone wishes you a good game, don't presume that you get to be white every game, and turn down that infernal racket.
  12. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    07 Feb '03 17:02
    You're both right, of course. I apologize. But those whipper-snappers ought to learn to respect their elders, respond when someone wishes you a good game, don't presume that you get to be white every game, and turn down that infernal racket.
    I know exactly what you mean... this is why the tournaments are so good.

Rhymester

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree