1. Joined
    29 Mar '10
    Moves
    05 May '18 14:01
    Can anyone tell me why redhotpawn will sometimes highlight a move I've made in pink?

I've ssumed it's suggesting that my move was "questionable" which, in many instances, I would dispute.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    05 May '18 14:13
    It indicates an illegal move. I've never had an occurrence when it has been incorrect, although sometimes it's been hard to spot just why it was an illegal move.
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '10
    Moves
    05 May '18 15:12
    Yes, I've come across that a few times, but I'm not talking about illegal moves.

If you look at my current game with pavelborta, I played Bb2a1 at move 21, which was legal and allowed, but after my move the b2 and a1 squares were highlighted pink on the board!
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    05 May '18 17:57
    Originally posted by @twilsco
    Yes, I've come across that a few times, but I'm not talking about illegal moves.

If you look at my current game with pavelborta, I played Bb2a1 at move 21, which was legal and allowed, but after my move the b2 and a1 squares were highlighted pink on the board!
    As the game has continued you haven't made an illegal move as you say.
    I've never known this happen unless the move is illegal.
    Did you try a different move before Ba1 , not retract it and therefore attempted to make two moves?
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '10
    Moves
    05 May '18 18:451 edit
    I looked at some alternatives on the analysis board and may well have got as far as putting a potential move on the play board, but I only submitted the one move I actually chose - strange!

I can only think the software doesn't think much of the move I made as it's just done the same with my last move which put my rook back where it was previously - I personally don't see that as a problem as I consider this phase of the game as manoeuvring for position and my opponent has now revealed his intentions.
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    06 May '18 17:501 edit
    Originally posted by @twilsco
    I looked at some alternatives on the analysis board and may well have got as far as putting a potential move on the play board, but I only submitted the one move I actually chose - strange!

I can only think the software doesn't think much of the move I made as it's just done the same with my last move which put my rook back where it was previously - I pe ...[text shortened]... s phase of the game as manoeuvring for position and my opponent has now revealed his intentions.
    I don't see that as the reason.
    The software or anything else cannot possibly be set up to assess every move in every game and decide if it's a good move or not.
    I can only come up with the usual answer -send feedback.
    As both Kewpie and me have said, we've never known the site to be wrong in situations such as this.
    If you're playing on some sort of phone or app it maybe a fault with that software
    Please post the result of your feedback if you choose to go down that route.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    06 May '18 22:34
    Are you sure the color of the squares turn to pink?
    On my laptop, the square moved 'from' and 'to' will turn a pale orange color when I make the move.
    If I attempt to make an illegal move, they will be pink, and there also will be a banner message at the top of the board that says "illegal move".
    That message will vanish after a few seconds.
    Your game has progressed past the move you mention in your original post, so there was no illegal move. Otherwise it would still be waiting for you to make a legal move.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree