1. Oerlikon
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 17:12
    GAME ID 7251313

White player had been in check , and had previously moved his KIng in move 6 , but still castled in

Excuse my sudden ignorance, but his King had been in check, and had moved, what Castling rules are we playing that allow you to Castle after those conditions ?

King in Check , and moves...

Ke8xf7
    Black Move6
    Date13 Mar '10 00:22

Bg8f7
    White Move6
    Date13 Mar '10 00:22

King castles...

O-O-O
    White Move20
    Date13 Mar '10 16:52
  2. Oerlikon
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 17:20
    My mistake. Withdrawn
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 18:29
    Two comments:

(1) Never ask for help about a game in progress. Never.
    (2a) When a move is illegal, the system doesn't allow the move.
    (2b) When a move is allowed by the system, the move is legal.
  4. The Smoke
    Moves
    13 Mar '10 22:411 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Two comments:

surely, (innocent) clarification of this sort does not constitute as asking for help (help is violation of RHP's ToS), doh.

p.s.
    Never trust self-appointed authorities. Never
  5. SubscriberMctaytoonline
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 10:40
    Besides the white king never moved prior to castling
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 14:22
    Two comments:

1. we have the right to ask about the rules of chess regardless if the game is in progress or not. not sure if you can castle while your rook is under attack? ask. perfectible legal.

2a. rare but bugs do happen here.

2b. see 2a.

so wrong, wrong and wrongo.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 15:07
    Originally posted by trev33
    1. we have the right to ask about the rules of chess regardless if the game is in progress or not. not sure if you can castle while your rook is under attack? ask. perfectible legal.

2a. rare but bugs do happen here.

2b. see 2a.

so wrong, wrong and wrongo.
    (1) Well, if somebody asks "I've mated my opponent in game xxxxxxx but I didn't get the points for it!", then he shouldn't get the help that, your opponent can still do this or that. That helps either party. The answer should only be "If you think it's a bug, then report it!".
    But if you ask a general question about a rule, like "May I wait a e.p. move a while?" Then a correct answer may very well be appropriate.
    But asking a question about a game in progress should never be done. Never.

(2) We can assume that there are no bugs in the part of the system that controls the legality of a move. It's so basic so it should be noticed before, and corrected. Any move signalling its illegality with pink squares is illegal. You can safely rely on that. Any move that can be done is also a legal move. On this you can also rely on its correctness.

If I am wrong in (2) - please give me an example, and I'll change my mind immediatement.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 21:11
    (1) Well, if somebody asks "I've mated my opponent in game xxxxxxx but I didn't get the points for it!", then he shouldn't get the help that, your opponent can still do this or that. That helps either party. The answer should only be "If you think it's a bug, then report it!".
    But if you ask a general question about a rule, like "May I wait a e.p. move a ...[text shortened]... am wrong in (2) - please give me an example, and I'll change my mind immediatement.
    "But if you ask a general question about a rule, like "May I wait a e.p. move a while?" Then a correct answer may very well be appropriate.
    But asking a question about a game in progress should never be done. Never."

do you see the contradiction there?
    everyone has the right to know the rules... just like in otb where the ref would be called, it's fine to ask any question about the rules in a game in progress.

bugs have happened here in the past... it's the nature of the internet. i don't have examples because i'm not sad enough to book mark the games.
  9. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 09:03
    But if you ask a general question about a rule, like "May I wait a e.p. move a ...[text shortened]... am wrong in (2) - please give me an example, and I'll change my mind immediatement.
    Have a look at the moves after move 18 in the game in the "My opponent took a move back" thread. It certainly ain't normal!
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 12:03
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    Have a look at the moves after move 18 in the game in the "My opponent took a move back" thread. It certainly ain't normal!
    You mean [GameId]6934446[/GameId]?

Seems strange but I rather believe it is a leftover from the database crash that happened 4th of december 2009. I myself have a few of these errorenous games too that seems to gone haywire. However, every move made was correct according the the rules. Russ can confirm this.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 12:05
    "But if you ask a general question about a rule, like "May I wait a e.p. move a while?" Then a correct answer may very well be appropriate.
    But asking a question about a game in progress should never be done. Never."

do you see the contradiction there?
    everyone has the right to know the rules... just like in otb where the ref would be called, it's fine t ...[text shortened]... f the internet. i don't have examples because i'm not sad enough to book mark the games.
    I don't deny that bugs are present in the RHP system. But not in the rule confirmation routine. There are millions of moves every year (?), and there would be a lot of complaints if an illegal move would be accepted.

No, I don't think so. If a move is accepted, then it is by the rules. If a move is not accepted, then it's a user mind slip, or ignorance of the rules.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 16:11
    I don't deny that bugs are present in the RHP system. But not in the rule confirmation routine. There are millions of moves every year (?), and there would be a lot of complaints if an illegal move would be accepted.

No, I don't think so. If a move is accepted, then it is by the rules. If a move is not accepted, then it's a user mind slip, or ignorance of the rules.
    most of the time probably but we can't rule out the possibility of it being a bug. therefore it's totally acceptable for someone to ask about this in public during a game... if the unlikely event is true and it is a bug, they can get it fixed if it's just a simply human error involving the rules they learn something new about the rules of chess. no harm done.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 18:48
    most of the time probably but we can't rule out the possibility of it being a bug. therefore it's totally acceptable for someone to ask about this in public during a game... if the unlikely event is true and it is a bug, they can get it fixed if it's just a simply human error involving the rules they learn something new about the rules of chess. no harm done.
    It's acceptable to ask a general question about a rule. It is not acceptable to ask if he can do (or why not do) about anything about a game in progress. The system will tell if the move is illegal, by pink squares, and if a move is legal, by letting him do that move.

Further: The FAQ says everything quite qlearly about the rules of chess. If that's not enough, there are numerous sources in the internet explaining the rules. There are no lack of information. The rules of chess should be in the toolbox of every chess player. If this is not enough, then a simle question about the rules is okay in the Help Forum. But not about a game in progress.

There are no bugs in the rule legality check routine. If you find any, please tell us. Otherwise, there are no bugs there. You can trust the system on that.

Don't ask questions about a game in progress! It violates TOS 3(b). Play on the safe side and don't ask.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 20:21
    It's acceptable to ask a general question about a rule. It is not acceptable to ask if he can do (or why not do) about anything about a game in progress. The system will tell if the move is illegal, by pink squares, and if a move is legal, by letting him do that move.

Further: The FAQ says everything quite qlearly about the rules of chess. If that's n ...[text shortened]... estions about a game in progress! It violates TOS 3(b). Play on the safe side and don't ask.
    otb two guys get in a fight about a move what do they do? ask the referee.

two guys have a problem with a game here... ask the help forum.

simple.

by your words if someone didn't know what en passent was before a game they wouldn't be allowed to ask the help forum during the game what had happened.

you're not allowed to ask about tactics or anything else that will give you a huge advantage over your opponent but you are allowed to ask about moves during the game that you're not sure about the legality. bugs Can happen. and not everyone knows all of the rules...

send feedback and ask if it would be ok for someone to ask if they can castle when their rook to under attack while they're playing a game with that exact scenario. i can tell you now their answer will be yes, everyone has the right to know the rules, regardless if they're currently in a game where that rule comes into question or not. do it.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 20:58
    otb two guys get in a fight about a move what do they do? ask the referee.

two guys have a problem with a game here... ask the help forum.

simple.

by your words if someone didn't know what en passent was before a game they wouldn't be allowed to ask the help forum during the game what had happened.

you're not allowed to ask about tactics or anyth ...[text shortened]... gardless if they're currently in a game where that rule comes into question or not. do it.
    Don't ask anything about a game in progress. TOS 3(b). Do I need to say more?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree