Player "tukan"

Standard memberiru
Help 19 Feb '07 20:41
  1. Joined
    21 Dec '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 20:41
    I've almost started a game against player "tukan" when found from his profile that it's not a human, but a chess program. How does it go along with RHP rules? I appreciate the honesty of his profile. And I have nothing against chess programs playing here but it should be somehow obvious from their name (like prefixed by comp_ for example)
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 20:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 21:34
  4. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 06:071 edit
    I work on a chess engine in my own time and have been purposely avoiding playing it here for fear of banning. Would be nice if there were a site-approved way to create an account marked as a computer account.

Sounds like his guy will probably get banned even though he's sort of in a different bag than the guys who went out and bought their favorite version of commercial software and brought it here.

Sort of deserves a ban, since he checked the "this isn't a computer account" box, though.
  5. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 09:052 edits
    Funny, but anyway I think this guy is only joking... Admins should check that I think, maybe he plays by himself
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 09:09

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 12:44
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Banned
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 14:56
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Banned
    Later tater.

http://www.timeforchess.com/comhub/removedplayers.php
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 18:181 edit
    Originally posted by joneschr
    I work on a chess engine in my own time and have been purposely avoiding playing it here for fear of banning. Would be nice if there were a site-approved way to create an account marked as a computer account.

Sounds like his guy will probably get banned even though he's sort of in a different bag than the guys who went out and bought their favorite ver ...[text shortened]...

Sort of deserves a ban, since he checked the "this isn't a computer account" box, though.
    Possibly if you used it to play unrated games against people in the know it wouldn't cause a fuss. The objection to engines is that players can use them to cheat against an unsuspecting opponant. If you couldn't gain from it I doubht anyone would complain and therefore you would be okay. maybe?

Edit: It is still cheating though so don't say I told you to do it😉
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 19:06
    Originally posted by Horsey
    Possibly if you used it to play unrated games against people in the know it wouldn't cause a fuss. The objection to engines is that players can use them to cheat against an unsuspecting opponant. If you couldn't gain from it I doubht anyone would complain and therefore you would be okay. maybe?

Edit: It is still cheating though so don't say I told you to do it😉
    I've played about 5 engine vs engine UNRATED games with players who knew what they were getting into. Very boring I might add.

The problem with using an engine for rated games here is if I should be in the top 2000 players at RHP I've got Engines getting in the way of me being ranked where I belong. Why should my rung on the ladder be lower because someone wants to run their engine on RHP?

P-
  11. Earth Prime
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 22:06
    now the profile is gone 🙁 what did it say?
  12. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 23:34
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I've played about 5 engine vs engine UNRATED games with players who knew what they were getting into. Very boring I might add.

P-
    Well, yeah, boring if you're playing with an engine someone else wrote. But not so boring if you're the one writing the code for the engine, and are trying to understand how it plays so you can improve it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree