1. Joined
    04 Apr '03
    Moves
    24 Apr '03 15:03
    Hi guys,
    Everyone starts on 1200 points.
    Presumably, the lower the points, the better you are?

I've only been playing two of my friends, and have won a lot of the games but my rating has got higher than the people i'm winning against.

Whats the beef?!

(thanks)

Mr B
  2. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    24 Apr '03 15:06
    Originally posted by Mr B
    Hi guys,

I've only been playing two of my friends, and have won a lot of the games but my rating has got higher than the people i'm winning against.

Whats the beef?!

(thanks)

Mr B
    No. The higher the points, the better you are. Look in the help, it will describe how the rating system works. Finally, look in "Player Tables". It will show you what rating puts you in what position in the 'hieracrhy'. Mostly, a rating is a statistical indication of how likely you are to beat someone else, and nothing more.
  3. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    24 Apr '03 15:15
    A quick look at the player tables should make things clearer.
  4. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    24 Apr '03 16:48
    I'm just wondering where you got that assumption from, as I've never heard anyone think that lower rating = better before. All chess rating are higher = better, and logically if your rating has been going up as you win then higher rating = better. I'm not trying to dis you, rather understand where you piucked up the idea that your rating should decrease with victories.

Another thing I don't understand - the expression "what's/where's the beef". Anyone able to enlighten me?
  5. Amsterdam
    Moves
    24 Apr '03 22:15
    As an Belgianfreak I hope you speak Dutch, well just to be sure I'll type this twice!

In holland if you have 'beef' you have a quarrel, I don't think he ment that....:-P

Als je bij ons 'beef' hebt heb je fitti, oftewel: flinke ruzie...dat zal hij alleen vast niet bedoeld hebben:-P

LivingLegend
  6. Joined
    04 Apr '03
    Moves
    25 Apr '03 09:22
    Thanks guys - i've never posted anything on a forum before and I was amazed at the number of responses! didn't really think anyone would answer my question.

Ummm, to the guy that wondered how I came to the conclusion that lower must be better... (my friend agrees with you!)... I thought I had seen players that wouldn't accept games with people of a rating over a certain value. I thought that this could be cos they didn't want to play people that wern't as good as them. What it must mean is they don't want to play someone that is gonna beat em instantly, i guess. Also, i thought if you had a rating of 1 you were 'Number 1' (i.e. the best).

What made me smile the most was the discussion about 'whats the beef'! Basically i meant 'whats the deal', or 'whats going on with this'.

Thanks again guys,
    Mr B
  7. Standard memberCFC
    Zak the mad boy
    Stamford Bridge
    Moves
    25 Apr '03 09:32
    Originally posted by Mr B
    [b]Hi guys,

Eh? That doesn't make sense at all.🙄😲
  8. Amsterdam
    Moves
    25 Apr '03 17:18
    Originally posted by CFC
    Eh? That doesn't make sense at all.🙄😲
    I agree with you😏 But well, you can't know everything

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree