1. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 10:54
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    King doesn't need any value, as it'll never be involved in an exchange.

D
    imagination

Or did you mean: Imagination (drink), Imagination (album), Imagination (band)

Dictionary
    i·mag·i·na·tion (ĭ-măj'ə-nā'shən)
    n.

The formation of a mental image of something that is neither perceived as real nor present to the senses.
    The mental image so formed.
    The ability or tendency to form such images.
    The ability to confront and deal with reality by using the creative power of the mind; resourcefulness: handled the problems with great imagination.
    A traditional or widely held belief or opinion.
    Archaic.
    An unrealistic idea or notion; a fancy.
    A plan or scheme.
    i·mag'i·na'tion·al adj.
    SYNONYMS imagination, fancy, fantasy. These nouns refer to the power of the mind to form images, especially of what is not present to the senses. Imagination is the most broadly applicable: “In the world of words, the imagination is one of the forces of nature” (Wallace Stevens). Fancy especially suggests mental invention that is whimsical, capricious, or playful and that is characteristically well removed from reality: “All power of fancy over reason is a degree of insanity” (Samuel Johnson). Fantasy is applied principally to elaborate or extravagant fancy as a product of the imagination given free rein: “The poet is in command of his fantasy, while it is exactly the mark of the neurotic that he is possessed by his fantasy” (Lionel Trilling).

Imagination
    Enjoy comfortable accommodation, grand dining & superb entertainment
    www.escapetravel.com.au

Carnival Cruises
    A Cruise for every Lifestyle every Interest, every Age
    www.cruiseconcepts.net

Thesaurus
    imagination

noun

The power of the mind to form images: fancy, fantasy, imaginativeness. See real/imaginary, thoughts.

Imagination
    Research imagination at the world's largest online library.
    www.questia.com

Creative Imagination
    eXpert System opens your mind with Word Associations, Images, Ideas
    www.richcontent.com

WordNet
    Note: click on a word meaning below to see its connections and related words.
    The noun imagination has 3 meanings:

Meaning #1: the formation of a mental image of something that is not perceived as real and is not present to the senses
    Synonyms: imaginativeness, vision

Meaning #2: the ability to form mental images of things or events
    Synonyms: imaging, imagery, mental imagery

Meaning #3: the ability to deal resourcefully with unusual problems
    Synonyms: resource, resourcefulness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Research Concept Meaning
    Find What Hides Within Definitions Gain Insights and Ideas Now!
    www.conceptexplore.com

Devil's Dictionary
    imagination
    n.
    A warehouse of facts, with poet and liar in joint ownership.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wikipedia
    imagination
    For the soul band Imagination see Imagination (band).
    For the album Imagination by Brian Wilson see Imagination (album).
    Imagination is, in general, the power or process of producing mental images and ideas. The term is technically used in psychology for the process of reviving in the mind percepts of objects formerly given in sense perception. Since this use of the term conflicts with that of ordinary language, some psychologists have preferred to describe this process as "imaging" or "imagery" or to speak of it as "reproductive" as opposed to "productive" or "constructive" imagination. Imagined images are seen with the "mind's eye". One hypothesis for the evolution of human imagination is that it allowed conscious beings to solve problems (and hence increase an individual's fitness) by use of mental simulation.

The common use of the term is for the process of forming in the mind new images which have not been previously experienced, or at least only partially or in different combinations. Fairy tales and fiction generally are the result of this process of combination. Imagination in this sense, not being limited to the acquisition of exact knowledge by the requirements of practical necessity, is up to a certain point free from objective restraints. The ability to imagine one's self in another person's place is very important to social relations and understanding. (Some psychiatrists suspect this is beyond the grasp of a sociopath. All they know is the gratification of personal pleasure). In various spheres, however, even imagination is in practice limited: thus a man whose imaginations do violence to the elementary laws of thought, or to the necessary principles of practical possibility, or to the reasonable probabilities of a given case is regarded as insane.

The same limitations beset imagination in the field of scientific hypothesis. Progress in scientific research is due largely to provisional explanations which are constructed by imagination, but such hypotheses must be framed in relation to previously ascertained facts and in accordance with the principles of the particular science.

In spite, however, of these broad practical considerations, imagination differs fundamentally from belief in that the latter involves "objective" control of subjective activity. The play of imagination, apart from the obvious limitations (e.g. of avoiding explicit self-contradiction), is conditioned only by the general trend of the mind at a given moment. Belief, on the other hand, is immediately related to practical activity: it is perfectly possible to imagine myself a millionaire, but unless I believe it I do not, therefore, act as such. Belief always endeavours to conform to objective conditions; though it is from one point of view subjective it is also objectively conditioned, whereas imagination as such is specifically free. The dividing line between imagination and belief varies widely in different stages of mental development. Thus someone from a technologically primitive culture who is ill frames an ideal reconstruction of the causes of his illness, and attributes it to the hostile magic of an enemy. In ignorance of pathology he is satisfied with this explanation, and actually believes in it, whereas such a hypothesis in the mind of someone who understood germ theory it would be treated as a pure effort of imagination, or even as a hallucination. It follows that the distinction between imagination and belief depends in practice on knowledge, social environment, training and the like.

Although, however, the absence of objective restraint, i.e. a certain unreality, is characteristic of imagination, none the less it has great practical importance as a purely ideational activity. Its very freedom from objective limitation makes it a source of pleasure and pain. A person of vivid imagination suffers acutely from the imagination of perils besetting a friend. In fact in some cases the ideal construction is so "real" that specific physical manifestations occur, as though imagination had passed into belief or the events imagined were actually in progress. See, for example, psychosomatic illness and Folie a deux.
  2. Joined
    08 May '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 10:58
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:03
    Originally posted by flexmore
    imagination

Or did you mean: Imagination (drink), Imagination (album), Imagination (band)

Dictionary
    i·mag·i·na·tion (ĭ-măj'ə-nā'shən)
    n.

The formation of a mental image of something that is neither perceived as real nor present to the senses.
    The mental image so formed.
    The ability or tendency to form such imag ...[text shortened]... ts imagined were actually in progress. See, for example, psychosomatic illness and Folie a deux.
    ???

D
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:04
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Watch it Buddy.

Originally posted by Russ
    [b]From today I will be removing unhelpful posts and issuing forum bans for deliberately misleading posts. No explanations will be sent.
    [/b]
  5. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:07
    ???

D
    sorry i did not mean to be too obscure ...

i always imagine an extra move around checkmate time ... and the king is actually captured ... the rules make better sense to me that way ... an old programmer friend did the same with his computer program.
  6. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:07
    Originally posted by joja
  7. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:08
    $%^#(*^ #^%&$* #^&$#% %%
  8. Joined
    01 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:11
    Seeing as you were just clarifying the rules of the site in this thread, could you let me know what competitions you've played in where the points of the remaining pieces are taken into account at the end of the game.

Cheers,

D
    I didn't say that I've ever played in any games that actually implemented this rule. I assumed that this must be the case at RHP because after I won my first game here, I was told that I automatically claimed not only the board, but my opponent's points as well. It seemed the only other possibility.
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:15
    Originally posted by Bromage
    I didn't say that I've ever played in any games that actually implemented this rule. I assumed that this must be the case at RHP because after I won my first game here, I was told that I automatically claimed not only the board, but my opponent's points as well. It seemed the only other possibility.
    Read the FAQ next time.

How is my rating calculated?

When you join, you are given a rating of 1200.

If you enter into a rated game, your rating will be recalculated on its completion so long as at least two moves have been made by each player.

Note: Until you have completed 20 games your rating may go down even when you win a game!

Until you complete 20 games, you will have a provisional rating. This rating is calculated as the average of all the games you have played. Each game is scored as being your opponent's rating (for a draw), your opponent's rating plus 400 (for a win), or your opponent's rating minus 400 (for a loss). If your opponent is also on a provisional rating, then the 400s above become 200s. If your opponent has played fewer than five games then their rating is treated as 1200 when calculating your rating.

Players are rated using the following formula:

New Rating = Old Rating + K * (Score - Win Expectancy)

K is a constant (32 for 0-2099, 24 for 2100-2399, 16 for 2400 and above)

Score is 1 for a win, 0.5 for a draw and 0 for a loss.

The Win Expectancy is calculated using the following formula :

Win Expectancy = 1 / (10^((OpponentRating-YourRating)/400)+1)

The Win Expectancy is used in the rating calculation but is interesting on its own. For example, the calculation below is for a rating difference of 200. This shows that if you have a rating 200 points higher than another player, you can expect to beat them, on average, three times for each four games played.

Win Expectancy = 1 / (10^(-200/400)+1) = 0.76

Note: ^ = "to the power of", e.g. 2^3=8.

If you have a non-provisional rating and you play a provisional-rated player, then you receive (or lose) only half the number of rating points you would normally. If the provisionally-rated player has played fewer than five games, then their rating is treated as 1200 when calculating your rating.
  10. Joined
    01 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:21
    Read the FAQ next time.

[b]How is my rating calculated?

When you join, you are given a rating of 1200.

If you enter into a rated game, your rating will be recalculated on its completion so long as at least two moves have been made by each player.

Note: Until you have completed 20 games your rating may go down even when you win a game!

Un ...[text shortened]... played fewer than five games, then their rating is treated as 1200 when calculating your rating.[/b]
    I see. So, at RHP the points of the pieces aren't taken into consideration in determing the outcome of the game, just the rating points in determining your rating score?
  11. Fear The Cow
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:22
    I see. So, at RHP the points of the pieces aren't taken into consideration in determing the outcome of the game, just the rating points in determining your rating score?
    Yup
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:24
    Not just RHP everywhere. Chess isn't Warhammer.
  13. Joined
    01 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:25
    Originally posted by Chakan
    Yup
    Cheers! It was almost worth the ordeal just to finally work that out!
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:28
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=rules+of+chess&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

D
  15. Joined
    01 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 11:34
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=rules+of+chess&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

D
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Stupid+Irish+people&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree