Polls

Polls

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
19 Jan 03

Surveys, question thingies. It might be useful if there was, say, a page with a weekly question where users could vote on a particular topic. For example What do you want to see in the next site update? A) more statistics B) better navigation interface C) a forum devoted to squirrel trivia D) Other (send email or post in forum)

I dunno, its just something I thought of. One of the best aspects of RHP is how much Chris and Russ listen to the ideas and suggestions of the users. A quick poll page or something like that would provide additional feedback on anything that Chris and Russ wanted to ask.

I suppose that any questions like that can always be asked in the forums, but lots of users don't visit the forums, and some may not wish to post but would vote if they could anonymously.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
19 Jan 03

Originally posted by T1000
...For example What do you want to see in the next site update? A) more statistics B) better navigation interface C) a forum devoted to squirrel trivia D) Other (send email or post in forum)...
I vote for "C". I look forward to infiltrating this forum and composing many pompous, long winded, and highly contentious posts debunking squirrelophilia in all its manifestations. 😴

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
19 Jan 03
1 edit

Any RHP old timers (and I mean mwmiller and Rhymster here) may well remember a vote on the homepage - we were interested in why people were on the site (Rival Chess caused all the initial traffic when the site was new - and we were interested if there was any shift)

Anyway, why describe it to you when the rather amazing web archive can show you the real thing! 🙂 (This really is one of the most amazing sites on the web)

http://web.archive.org/web/20010304170336/http://www.redhotpawn.com/

Remember, this is not a functioning site, just a snapshot.

Enjoy!

-Russ

and RedHotTed

Red Hot Rebel Clan

Moves
19 Jan 03

There wasn't a button for 'heard about it from a friend of Chrismo's' so I ticked on-line chess.

It was really weird actually... I was just running out of ideas to keep a 'longest thread' on another forum fresh and had decided to challenge someone to a game of chess in the thread. But along came RHP and the rest is history.

Rhymester

T

Moves
19 Jan 03
1 edit

Originally posted by Russ
Any RHP old timers (and I mean mwmiller and Rhymster here) may well remember a vote on the homepage...

http://web.archive.org/web/20010304170336/http://www.redhotpawn.com/

Remember, this is not a functioning site, just a snapshot.

Enjoy!

-Russ
The poll was there long enough for latecomers like me to vote in it too. I remember wondering why anyone would vote for "don't know"!! It was thinking about what the site used to be like that made me think of having a poll nowadays. Anyway, RHP has undergone a lot of changes! 😲

Am looking forward to seeing what you have lined up for the top part of the screen...[impatient]is it coming soon?[/impatient]

Have you got any more links to archived pages? 😀

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
20 Jan 03

http://web.archive.org/web/*/redhotpawn.com

-Russ

RHP Member No.16

Moves
20 Jan 03
1 edit

Originally posted by Russ
http://web.archive.org/web/*/redhotpawn.com

-Russ
Well, that was a stroll down memory lane! One of the pages actually captured the conclusion of my first game here, against Paul! (That was game number 18 on the RHP site, if you can believe that!)

Maybe you can show a screen shot of the old antique 'peg board' we had to use here in the 'good old days'! I don't think any of us old-timers will miss that.

regards, Marc

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
20 Jan 03

The 'peg hole' board is still supported to this day! People do still use it.

-Russ

m

Moves
20 Jan 03

I'm pretty new to this site, but I have to tell you how pleased I am with it! 😵 I've tried other sites, which shall remain nameless (no point in being negative), but this one takes the cake in my opinion. It seems like you (Russ and Chris) care about keeping it a quality site (feedback, additions, remods, etc.) I appreciate that, too. I'm also pleased with the people I've "met" so far. Sort of a family, it seems. Vaknso scares me a little--100+ games going--wow. Now if I could only control my addiction to it...

j

Moves
20 Jan 03

What were "drone games"?

RHP Member No.16

Moves
20 Jan 03

Originally posted by jgvaccaro
What were "drone games"?
At one time the Rival chess program was installed onto the server and we could play games against the computer here if we wanted. They were called 'drone games'.

Marc

p
Ascending

Johannesburg

Moves
20 Jan 03

A weekly POLL would facilate that gathering of statistics about the key website enhancements that the userbase has got!

The formums are not effective enough in terms of gathering such data.

People are more inclined to respond, at logon, to 5/10 Y/N questions.
People are less likely to read through all the forums and respond to each post in support of a good idea.

I hope we get POLLS implemented - its practical.

PS: Possibly outsource this Weekly POLL questionaire creation to some enthuasiast who lives in the forums?

🙄

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
21 Jan 03

Originally posted by mwmiller
At one time the Rival chess program was installed onto the server and we could play games against the computer here if we wanted. They were called 'drone games'.

Marc
why don't they exist any more? :'( :'(

RHP Member No.16

Moves
21 Jan 03

Originally posted by thire
why don't they exist any more? :'( :'(
Most members come to RHP to play chess against other people. So the software program was removed from the server.

However, I do believe you can still download the program and play it. A registered version was also included as a benefit for anyone who became a pawn star. I don't know if that is still true or not.

You can find the link to download it on the home page.

regards, Marc

T

Moves
21 Jan 03

Originally posted by mwmiller
Most members come to RHP to play chess against other people. So the software program was removed from the server.

However, I do believe you can still download the program and play it. A registered version was also included as a benefit for anyone who became a pawn star. I don't know if that is still true or not.

You can find the link to download it on the home page.

regards, Marc
I think the drone was removed to ease the load on the server.