1. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    03 Jun '04 13:03
    Admin, please reference game ID 511449.
    My opponent contests that there was a system error at 55b. He claims he had captured my rook at A1 but record indicates a pawn move. Queen move took place at 56b instead.
    Please review game event at this point to determine if there was some sort of system error and advise.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Jun '04 14:24
    Originally posted by Decanter
    Admin, please reference game ID 511449.
    My opponent contests that there was a system error at 55b. He claims he had captured my rook at A1 but record indicates a pawn move. Queen move took place at 56b instead.
    Please review game event at this point to determine if there was some sort of system error and advise.
    There doesn't appear to be a problem with this game. It is a hard thing to prove or disprove though, but due to the huge number of games that are played here without any problems, we have to assume it was probably a user error unless we receive multiple reports about the same/similar issues.

-Russ
  3. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    03 Jun '04 14:32
    So what should I do?

Obviously this was a huge turnabout in the game, and my opponent is rather insistent I should resign. My guess is that he may have clicked "move" but then saw the open rook and tried to click the "back" button and go after it... but that doesn't explain 56b.

I understand that I was losing, but I'm not certain I should be obligated to concede the game because of his error. Advice?
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Jun '04 14:50
    Play on as normal. You should never be pressured into resigning.

-Russ
  5. Netherlands
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 20:25
    Originally posted by Decanter
    So what should I do?

Obviously this was a huge turnabout in the game, and my opponent is rather insistent I should resign. My guess is that he may have clicked "move" but then saw the open rook and tried to click the "back" button and go after it... but that doesn't explain 56b.

I understand that I was losing, but I'm not certain I should be obligated to concede the game because of his error. Advice?
    I have had an experience like that
    I did a move, pushed the button "move" and saw I could have done a better move. So I clicked the "stop" button and was happy to see I had still the old situation. (I thought)
    I checked the position again and made my improved move.
    When I got the answer of my opponent I saw to my disgust that my first move had reached him (without my knowing); he had answered my move without me knowing that. My improved move came on top of that. The situation was hilarious because the moves were totally absurd in this sequence.
    We had a good laugh and settled for a draw. Maybe an option for you too?

Fjord
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 22:29
    Although this kind of thing is obviously quite rare, there is a way of preventing it - so I will add it as a precaution in the future.

-Russ
  7. Netherlands
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 23:15
    Originally posted by Russ
    Although this kind of thing is obviously quite rare, there is a way of preventing it - so I will add it as a precaution in the future.

-Russ
    Thanks Russ!

Fjord
  8. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    05 Jun '04 05:09
    A few times similar things have happened to me. Usually it boiled down to a "mouse slip" (pawn released on f3 instead of f4 or a similar type). It is certainly a shock when it happens but after thinking about it, the truth of operator error is usually clear. However there was one instance that could not be explained by that possibility. I think what happened was that I was thinking about (and decided) on a move in one game and as I was reaching for my mouse to move, the power went off at my house for about 20 seconds. When it came back up and I reconnected to RHP I made the move I looked at but apparently it was the wrong game.

Feivel
  9. Netherlands
    Moves
    05 Jun '04 08:45
    Originally posted by Feivel
    A few times similar things have happened to me. Usually it boiled down to a "mouse slip" (pawn released on f3 instead of f4 or a similar type). It is certainly a shock when it happens
    Yes, slips of the buttons 😉
    I had that once with castling; I wanted to move my king from e1 to g1.
    When my opponent had answered it appeared that my king had gone to f1, My poor Rook stood dead in the corner and the game was over.
    Helas, I don't think I could blame the system for this error 😕

Fjord
  10. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    05 Jun '04 16:22
    Thanks to all who have replied. I've seen that error before... actually I've made that error before, but in the end I still consider it to be user error.

When I refused to resign immediately and indicated I would consult an admin, my opponent became belligerent and abusive. I have since sent him an abrupt message indicating I will accept a draw if he offers but that's the best he's going to get.

Thanks again to everyone for feedback. Hopefully I won't be faced with this situation again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree