problems - yet again

problems - yet again

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
20 Feb 12

Problems loading pages for last 2 weeks now, it seems to be running ok for a while and then sometimes a page times-out. Hitting refresh button then makes page load instantly. I'm not having the same problem on any other website. Could be wrong but I don't think it's a problem with my pc or my internet.

p

Moves
22 Feb 12

i try to start anew game with my friend ben de kleijnen and am told he is already playing his self imposed limit. He is however only playing 2 games plese explain

p

Moves
22 Feb 12

since I changed my email address i do not get my friend games notified when he makes a move he has entered the right address ..

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
03 Mar 12
1 edit

BUMP !!
Driving me mad this, games taking 5mins to load and the forum even longer...'sometimes' hitting refresh whilst it's loading miraculously speeds the process up, but something is definitely amiss here..
EDIT: I use different computers, one is logged in permanently to this site from my home in Dorset, S.W England, a laptop and a mobile device I use whilst out and about in the S.W during the week days..the mobile seems to be functioning far better, why is this as surely it can't be a regional issue with regard to the server ?

Whilst I'm here, what is this message I've been receiving today, is this a security verification issue ? 'My connection to RHP is not encrypted', 'first visit to RHP 31 Dec 2011', and the last message disappeared too quickly but I think 'no certificate for this site' ...

Lt.

Los Angeles

Moves
03 Mar 12

Originally posted by taipei5200
Very rarely have I had any problems ( 5 years ) Works fast for me.
Jumped the gun. In the last week slowed down considerably.

Moves
05 Mar 12

The last few days it's been unbearably slow. Like, go away and make some coffee, come back and I might be able to make a move.

Australia

Moves
05 Mar 12
1 edit

Things aren't improving here either. I keep checking the modem, assuming the internet connection has fallen over, but no, it's just RHP running at tortoise speed as usual. This has been going on for weeks ...

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
05 Mar 12

I'm listening guys. I'll take a good look at this and try to rectify ASAP.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
05 Mar 12
1 edit

Update: It appears someone has been effectively attacking the site with endless requests, possibly the attacker is doing this innocently unaware of the problems they are causing, but it could also be malicious. (scraping game data). Either way, we will need to prevent this behaviour in future as it almost certainly the cause of the recent slowness of the site. I will need to investigate further.

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
05 Mar 12

Originally posted by Russ
Update: It appears someone has been effectively attacking the site with endless requests, possibly the attacker is doing this innocently unaware of the problems they are causing, but it could also be malicious. (scraping game data). Either way, we will need to prevent this behaviour in future as it almost certainly the cause of the recent slowness of the site. I will need to investigate further.
Just for your reference, 'they've' been doing it for some time then, perhaps..perhaps they are unrelated but I have reference to the site first doing this in May last year, '3mins to load my games, forum hopping is annoying as even slower.' The comments were made in-game after the recipient asked me if I'd be experiencing similar.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
06 Mar 12

Originally posted by RevRSleeker
Just for your reference, 'they've' been doing it for some time then, perhaps..perhaps they are unrelated but I have reference to the site first doing this in May last year, '3mins to load my games, forum hopping is annoying as even slower.' The comments were made in-game after the recipient asked me if I'd be experiencing similar.
I agree that there are times when the site doesn't perform as it should - and forum issues in particular (under load) are a known problem - but any recent general performance issues are almost certainly down to the behaviour mentioned above.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
11 Mar 12

Been using an iPad and a Mac for over two years on RHP. Hope I'm not tempting fate by saying that here in Sevenoaks, Kent NEVER had any problems...............

Australia

Moves
17 Mar 12

You're one of the lucky ones then. The system's not well at the moment.

In your face

Moves
18 Mar 12

Originally posted by Kewpie
You're one of the lucky ones then. The system's not well at the moment.
Hmm. I thought it was just me. I've mentioned it in the forums in the past and most people's answer is 'clear your cache'. Not as simple as that. It seems to hang on certain threads, pages or links. You can acces other parts of the site fine but certain ones just make you wait and wait.

It did this years ago then Russ upgraded and it all seemed fine. Now it seems to be slipping again. :o(

Australia

Moves
18 Mar 12

Forum pages are noticeably slower than the playing page, for me, and Russ has said that too. Having said that, it's worst when both US and Europe are active, very good during our afternoon when neither big group is playing. Maybe it's time for more grunt at the server end.