1. Standard memberBird
    dickie
    lords
    Moves
    04 Feb '14 15:41
    Hi pls help I've had a brain freeze - if my King moves adjacent to a pawn which then moves to a promotion position and becomes a queen - but isn't protected - in my next move can I take the queen or do i have to ruuuun??
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Feb '14 15:48
    Originally posted by Bird
    Hi pls help I've had a brain freeze - if my King moves adjacent to a pawn which then moves to a promotion position and becomes a queen - but isn't protected - in my next move can I take the queen or do i have to ruuuun??
    Your King can take any figure (of opposite colour) if he dosn't move into check, regardless of the history of that figure.
    Be aware that the King can't take while castling, since the room between King and rook has to be clear.
  3. Standard memberBird
    dickie
    lords
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 17:10
    sorry to be thick, but when the opposing pawn promotes to a queen, it will then put my king in check - presumably the act promotion within a single move means that my piece will then be in check from the newly promoted queen?
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 17:541 edit
    sorry to be thick, but when the opposing pawn promotes to a queen, it will then put my king in check - presumably the act promotion within a single move means that my piece will then be in check from the newly promoted queen?
    Yes you are in check, but if the newly formed Queen is not covered you can take her. It plays no role if the Queen was put on the square by a move of a Queen or by queening a pawn.

SO maybe I am thick and don't get the problem?
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 19:201 edit
    If your opponent puts his queen next to your king and the queen is unprotected, you can just take the queen. It doesn't matter whether the queen was promoted or got there some other way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree