Promotion

Standard memberGuardian911
Help 11 Jan '08 18:51
  1. Joined
    08 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 18:51
    I cannot promote my pawn. I am trying to play ab8=N but that interface will not allow me -- it just flashes. How do I do this?Game 4471002
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 18:56
    Originally posted by Guardian911
    I cannot promote my pawn. I am trying to play ab8=N but that interface will not allow me -- it just flashes. How do I do this?Game 4471002
    Make your move, hit move. You should have an option to pick what you want to promote to, you don't always promote to a Queen, you have a choice. If it kicks you to the list, go back into that game and you should have a screen asking what you want to promote to.

P-
  3. The sky
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 19:31
    Originally posted by Guardian911
    Beautiful checkmate!
  4. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 20:35
    lol, i was gonna ask why you actualy have the option to choose anything else then queen to promote, but i guess that game explained it^^

but still, you can allso promote to a runner/thing that goes sideways, (wtf is that piece called anyway?) why would you do that? queen has the same option to go sideways, but is just better...?
  5. The sky
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 20:37
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    lol, i was gonna ask why you actualy have the option to choose anything else then queen to promote, but i guess that game explained it^^

but still, you can allso promote to a runner/thing that goes sideways, (wtf is that piece called anyway?) why would you do that? queen has the same option to go sideways, but is just better...?
    Runner = bishop
    Thing that goes sideways = rook
    Sometimes promoting to a queen would lead to a stalemate. And sometimes it's just fun to underpromote. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  6. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 20:49
    of course! stalemate, i know that rule๐Ÿ˜›
    why is the bishop called a runner? when i said sideways runner i ment the rooks, never the bishop, and isnt it called a tower btw? the bishop? Translated from dutch to english it is lol.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 20:56
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    of course! stalemate, i know that rule๐Ÿ˜›
    why is the bishop called a runner? when i said sideways runner i ment the rooks, never the bishop, and isnt it called a tower btw? the bishop? Translated from dutch to english it is lol.
    Ah, sorry, I thought you were talking about two different pieces. I don't know the Dutch names for the chess pieces, but in German and Norwegian, the bishop (the piece that moves diagonally) is called a "Läufer" or "løper", i.e. a "runner", so I thought that was probably the case in Dutch as well. The rook is called "Turm" in German and "tårn" in Norwegian, i.e. "tower", as you say.
  8. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 21:20
    ahh i get it now, thx
    i was totaly confusing in my discriptions.

Bishop = Loper in dutch
    and Rook = Tower^^

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree