1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    19 Jul '03 11:17
    The new provisional rating method seems to be creating confusion and concern. Rather than mix provisional ratings in with regular ratings, maybe it would be a good idea to have a seperate page linked to the 'Player Tables/Highest Rating' page.

This new page would be organized just like the regular rating page but would only show those members with a provisional rating. When the 'provisional' status is removed, the player would be moved from the provisional table to the 'regular' player tables.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

Marc

2. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    19 Jul '03 12:06
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    The new provisional rating method seems to be creating confusion and concern. Rather than mix provisional ratings in with regular ratings, maybe it would be a good idea to have a seperate page linked to the 'Player Tables/Highest Rating' page.

This new page would be organized just like the regular rating page but would only show those members with a p ...[text shortened]... the 'regular' player tables.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

Marc

I've read the original 'change in the ratings system' post a few times and I still don't fully understand it.

It seems that whatever way new members are introduced into the system there will be problems but this new way does seem to be causing more than the old.

One (silly?) question I have... if I were to beat a 1700 rated player (whose rating was only provisional) what would happen to my rating compared to if I beat (unlikely 😉) a real 1700 player?

Rhymester
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    19 Jul '03 13:29
    Originally posted by Rhymester
    I've read the original 'change in the ratings system' post a few times and I still don't fully understand it.

It seems that whatever way new members are introduced into the system there will be problems but this new way does seem to be causing more than the old.

One (silly?) question I have... if I were to beat a 1700 rated player (whose rating w ...[text shortened]... t would happen to my rating compared to if I beat (unlikely 😉) a real 1700 player?

Rhymester
    I don't understand it either Andrew. I'm not even sure I understand the need for a different formula.

I just think it would create less confusion if provisional players had their own page.

Marc
  4. Joined
    27 Aug '02
    Moves
    19 Jul '03 13:58
    If you were a new player and beat a 1700 player, you most likely would be the highest rated player on the site, which is not right. I really think this provisional formula needs to be tinkered with abit to at least make if fair to the established players.
    -Bob
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    19 Jul '03 23:31
    My main idea with this thread was to see how people felt about having the provisional rating list on a seperate page, since it is derived differently than the 'regular' rating. Hopefully that would cut down on any confusion.

I can't explain how the provisional formula works, but it is being discussed in another thread.

Marc

6. Subscriberetecka
    Praha, CZ
    Moves
    21 Jul '03 15:05
    I agree to remove players with provisional rating from the regular player table. I am not sure if there is a need for a separate table with provisionaly rated players. I see it ok if they are not listed at all until they reach 20 games. They themselves can always see where they would be in the regular list.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Jul '03 19:47
    Originally posted by etecka
    I agree to remove players with provisional rating from the regular player table. I am not sure if there is a need for a separate table with provisionaly rated players. I see it ok if they are not listed at all until they reach 20 games. They themselves can always see where they would be in the regular list.
    This is the approach I have now taken. I only wish I had done it like this from day one.

-Russ
  8. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    22 Jul '03 04:08
    Why not simply add (provisional) to their rating?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree