1. West Virginia
    Moves
    27 Nov '04 16:001 edit
    The subject should be: Confessions of a curious subsscriber, but I didn't think anyone would read it.

Confession: I went to another site 😳 an I noticed they were bragging about (in summary form) how many games they had ongoing, players online, # of players, moves made since, etc.... I didn't see what was so great about the site that RHP wasn't better!

Question: Are there stats like this tucked away on some dark little used site summary page?

I know on the main page it has "over 75,000" and the Public Games inprogress list ends at 1000. I guess I'm becoming a RHP evangelist, little by little, and would like to know our site kicks their site's butt (trying to keep it clean for the kiddies). And yes when I was young I though my Daddy could beat-up your Daddy. πŸ˜›

Maybe I should have posted this in the Site Ideas Forum instead, but I wasn't sure is the page existed.
  2. Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    27 Nov '04 16:13
    What's this other site you mention? This site seems VERY good, although I'd like to have a look at the other site *hmm*...
  3. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeΒ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    27 Nov '04 19:251 edit
    I guess he was speaking about Gameknot.
    I've seen many other chess sites but Rhp is the only worth subscribing.
    Uh,GK sub is about 90 $ and the site is not good as Rhp,go figure............
  4. West Virginia
    Moves
    27 Nov '04 19:37
    Originally posted by Ravello
    I guess he was speaking about Gameknot.
    I've seen many other chess sites but Rhp is the only worth subscribing.
    Uh,GK sub is about 90 $ and the site is not good as Rhp,go figure............
    Yup that's the one... And you are 100% right!

Just got "stat envy"...

5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    27 Nov '04 20:552 edits
    Gk has a very good Google position, which allows them to produce impressive stats. (They get more people through the door as a result, so to speak.) The harsh truth about the web is that you can produce the best site in any genre, but if you can't get ranked well in Google, you are going nowhere.

I have "Google position envy" - but nothing more. πŸ˜€

(Having said that, RHPs Google ranking is biting at their ankles πŸ˜‰ )

-Russ
  6. West Virginia
    Moves
    27 Nov '04 22:08
    I am *very* glad to hear it Russ!

Thanks for the A No. 1 Site regardless.
  7. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 05:31
    Originally posted by Russ
    Gk has a very good Google position, which allows them to produce impressive stats. (They get more people through the door as a result, so to speak.) The harsh truth about the web is that you can produce the best site in any genre, but if you can't get ranked well in Google, you are going nowhere.

I have "Google position envy" - but nothing more. πŸ˜€

(Having said that, RHPs Google ranking is biting at their ankles πŸ˜‰ )

-Russ
    All aside Russ, how do we improve our Google position?

skeeter
  8. West Virginia
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 14:06
    I found the link to the page that describes it somewhat: http://www.google.com/corporate/tech.html

Just my quick once-over, it looks like a weighted system where a link from a site with no links to it would not change the position as much as a site which has 50 or 100 links to it, where both link to the site whose position would change.

I see now why Web Rings are so popular, they intertwine their links with each other, but Google probably takes this into account.

But I do notice on various places where Internet Correspondence Chess is mentioned there are links to other sites, but seldom to RHP. I believe we change this, and we change the google ranking significantly, if I read everything correctly.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 16:481 edit
    This is correct.

A chess site which has a high page rank linking to RHP would give it a boost. But after you have climbed so far, you need a large number of extra sites to make an impact.

No one (apart from Google themselves) knows for sure what pushes you up, or what penalises you, so it is far from an exact science, and as there is no immediate feedback on any changes, it can be hard to ascertain what had a positive effect and what had a negative effect.

-Russ

edit : If you do use a site which doesn't link here, then I would be very grateful if you could suggest that they do.
  10. West Virginia
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 18:54
    Will do! Thanks!
  11. Joined
    24 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Nov '04 08:45
    GK is great and i am kind of a 2 tima (dont get the wrong idea).
    But it has plenty of faults.
    I have been playing that for 4 years before i played this and when i was not playing any games it did not allow me to start nor accept a challenge and there Site constructers are very bad.
  12. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    01 Dec '04 16:45
    I have heared of RHP via friends, and have told about it to others, and inviting them to play. Which they did. Isn't telling and invinting friends the foremost way of getting a website with functionality like this one known to the world?
  13. West Virginia
    Moves
    02 Dec '04 06:19
    I wasn't as fortunate. Mine was part Google part email list (from a guys sig)
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Dec '04 16:18
    Originally posted by Aiko
    I have heared of RHP via friends, and have told about it to others, and inviting them to play. Which they did. Isn't telling and invinting friends the foremost way of getting a website with functionality like this one known to the world?
    Most users do actually come from search engines - but a recommendation is obviously a far better introduction.

-Russ
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    03 Dec '04 03:42
    Originally posted by Russ
    This is correct.

A chess site which has a high page rank linking to RHP would give it a boost. But after you have climbed so far, you need a large number of extra sites to make an impact.

No one (apart from Google themselves) knows for sure what pushes you up, or what penalises you, so it is far from an exact science, and as there is no immediate feedbac ...[text shortened]... site which doesn't link here, then I would be very grateful if you could suggest that they do.
    Ok, Here I am about to give away some trade secrets.....

PageRank is what Google is ALL about.

The two things to keep in mind:
    1. The more sites that link to your site, the Higher your site's PageRank.

2. The higher the PageRank of the sites that link to your site, the Higher your site's PageRank.

Now for the really easy and legit ways to increase your site's PageRank with google.
    !. Any site that you know links to your site, Copy their URL and go to: http://www.google.com/addurl.html And add that site's address. (No, you it doesn't have to be YOUR site, just any site that links to yours.) This gets googles webcrawler to index it and increase your PageRank.

2. Get linked by other sites with high PageRanks. The free web indexes are good for this. AS WELL AS (and this top-secret) online forums. Usually online forums/bbs have high pageranks because of the strong community aspect they try to induce. Sites such as slashdot.org... Now the trick, (Because slashdot is not going to just link to you on their homepage) All you have to do is post a message anywhere, and link to your site. This can be in the signature part of your message, it can be part of your message, anywhere, Hell, it doesn't even have to be relevent to the topic at hand, just add a link to your site in your .sig and it won't LOOK like you are spamming it with the intention of promoting your site. Immediately after posting a message on say slashdot for example. Copy the url that your post shows up on, then go back to the above mentioned url and add the url of the page your message/link shows up on to googles system.

The key is getting links to your site by other highly PageRanked sites. This is actually very easy if you think about it.....

Enjoy,
    Tim

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree